Engineering Manager, Mobile Infrastructure
Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for Engineering Managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. Our Engineering Managers are people with varying technical backgrounds and interests -- some are involved in the technical details of their team and others provide general technical direction and oversight. As managers, our job is to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
Lyft’s mobile infrastructure teams are responsible for creating & maintaining the foundational systems that engineers rely on in order to build stable, scalable, polished and efficient apps. We build standardized infrastructure that helps software developers move fast, while still providing them with the flexibility they need to innovate within their teams. We are looking for experienced leaders to guide these teams as they create an exceptional development experience for all of Lyft. These are high leverage roles, as your work will have a multiplicative effect across engineering, and contribute directly to the rapid evolution of our platform. Our goal is to build and maintain the best mobile platform and frameworks out there. Period.
- Lead engineering teams responsible for our mobile infrastructure at varying layers of the stack. We are looking to fill a variety of roles so whether you have experience in managing teams focused on architecture, libraries, SDKs or tooling, we want your expertise!
- Work across engineering to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback and understand their goals to build and prioritize a roadmap for your org
- With the help of your team members, educate engineering on best practices for building stable and well monitored apps
- Encourage and enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members; help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects, and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams’ code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Own your org’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our passengers and drivers
Experience & Skills:
- You have experience managing iOS and/or Android engineers and supporting large scale mobile infrastructures
- You have experience leading engineers at all levels, and you’re skilled at guiding them through their career development
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, and preferably have experience working with engineers as customers
- You have a strong focus on metrics and know how to measure the health of engineering teams
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion creatively
- You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- You have a technical background and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- You think ahead and build for the future
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top