Engineering Manager, Mapping Experience
Lyft’s mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation, and to provide the world’s best transportation, we need to have the world’s best map.
The Mapping team at Lyft is tasked with building a digital representation of the physical world - a map. We collect and serve the freshest and most accurate mapping data possible, along with algorithms, models, platform services, and map-based user experiences that power Lyft’s current and future transportation offerings.
Mapping represents a huge opportunity for Lyft’s business, but also a big challenge. We build and scale systems that deal with large data storage, real-time data processing, machine / deep learning pipelines, routing and ETA models, driver and passenger location tracking, and more. We built beautiful and magical user experiences on top of all those services, and compete with companies that have been in the mapping business for decades.
Our engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for Engineering Managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean.
- Manage a rapidly growing team of engineers developing user-facing Mapping experiences
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Work with your engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship high-quality products that delight our passengers and drivers
- Help your team build relationships across functions Product, Design, User Research, Science, and others
- Bachelors, Masters in Computer Science or at least 7 years of industry experience building and shipping software
- Experience with leading software engineering teams through tough problems, growing people and shipping software
- Expertise in at least one programming language
- Experience leading a team that shipped a mobile product that people care about
- Ability to decompose complex business problems and lead a team in solving them in a fast-paced but also rigorous fashion
- Excellent communication skills
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Lyft
Lyft is a friendly, affordable ride whenever you need one. Users download the app, request a ride, and get picked up by a friendly driver—all within minutes. From the moment users hop into the car, Lyft is more than a ride. Lyft believes that transportation can bring people together and make communities better, and the company works to creates a new way to live in cities.
Back to top