Engineering Manager, Developer Tools
- Bend, OR
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ride sharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
As an engineering manager (EM) and part of the AV Software org, you will be responsible for managing and growing the CarViz team. This team’s mission is to develop new types of tools and 3D visualizations for the development, validation and evaluation of the autonomous vehicle software both behind the scenes and in the car.
For this position, we are looking for an EM with hands-on software engineering experience and deep technical expertise in one or more of these fields: 3D graphics or game engine development, high-performance system software, or robotics.
- Manage and grow the CarViz team. At Lyft we build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team sprint meetings, and work with the team to achieve its OKRs
- Support setting the short-, mid- and long-term technical roadmap for the team in collaboration with the technical leads and the leadership team
- Foster a healthy and collaborative team culture and be a role model by demonstrating Lyft’s core values
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members Help develop their careers and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Participate in code review and technical whiteboard discussions. Support trading off technical debt versus the pace of progress
- Collaborate closely with leads and EMs working on different components across the org
- Professional experience with building production-level scalable software, preferably that involves 3D graphics and visualizations including modeling, rigging, animating, or lighting and geometry processing, mission or safety critical systems
- Proven ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams in situations of ambiguity, with only high level direction
- Ability to deliver in the short-term while preparing for the long-term
- Ability to communicate highly technical problems and solutions at all levels from engineer to C-level executives
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced environment and collaborate across teams and disciplines
- Openness to new / different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on first principles
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top