Engineering Manager, Behavioral Planner
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
As an engineering manager (EM) and part of the motion planning team, you will be responsible for managing and growing the behavioral planning team. The behavioral planning team is responsible for building a highly reliable decision making and high-level planning system that enables the autonomous vehicle to safely navigate in its environment. The key challenge is to build a scalable and generalizable system that can reliably handle a large variety of complex road and traffic scenarios, all while ensuring the highest levels of safety and a smooth customer experience.
For this position, we are looking for an EM with strong technical background and hands-on software engineering experience in complex C++ projects.
- Manage and grow the behavioral planning team. Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team sprint meetings, and work with the team to achieve Objectives & Key Results (OKR’s)
- Support setting the mid- and long-term technical roadmap for the team in collaboration with the technical leads and the leadership team
- Foster a healthy and collaborative team culture and be a role model by demonstrating Lyft’s core values
- Mentor, coach and grow team members and support them in their career growth
- Participate in code review and technical whiteboard discussions. Support trading off technical debt versus the pace of progress
- Triage and prioritize incoming tickets from fleet testing, assigning them to appropriate engineers.
- Collaborate closely with leads and EMs working on different components across the autonomy system
Experience & Skills:
- Ability to work with complex, production-quality C++ systems and ability to give constructive code review comments
- Strong background in one or more of the following areas: motion planning under uncertainty, risk- and interaction-aware decision making, behavioral trees, modern machine learning techniques, low-latency inference on GPUs, tools and infrastructure for machine learning at scale
- Openness to new / different ideas
- Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on first principles
- Ability to manage teams of excellent robotics and software engineers
Nice to Have:
- Have shipped a robotics product
- Experience in building and validating safety critical navigation systems for low-latency compute platforms
- Proven track record in managing high performing small- to mid-sized robotics or software engineering teams
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Lyft
Lyft is a friendly, affordable ride whenever you need one. Users download the app, request a ride, and get picked up by a friendly driver—all within minutes. From the moment users hop into the car, Lyft is more than a ride. Lyft believes that transportation can bring people together and make communities better, and the company works to creates a new way to live in cities.
Back to top