Director, Tech Learning & Machine Learning Programs
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft connects people to transportation to change the way we live and get around our communities. Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly and we are looking for a Director to lead all of learning for the Technology team at Lyft (engineers, designers, TPMs, QE, product managers, data scientists, research scientists) and Machine Learning programs as we enable ubiquity and adoption of ML across Lyft technology teams.
This is an amazing role for a self-starter who’s passionate about developing talent, building a learning community and culture, using a wide set of tools and approaches to accommodate different learning styles, and enabling impact through machine learning.
- Lead the Tech Learning program at Lyft which includes a strong team of teaching engineers and program managers; this team is responsible for on-boarding new team members and enabling their growth to enable impact
- Develop a strategy to grow the existing onboarding curriculum into a multi-week program including topics and projects to seamlessly prepare team members to join their teams and be productive from day one
- Partner with engineering leaders to identify learning and development needs within the technology team and craft solutions to address them effectively
- Identify silos of expertise in the technology organization and leverage various means to promote and share this knowledge
- Own and further enhance mentorship programs in Technology
- Develop and use metrics to continually improve ongoing programs
Experience & Skills:
- Strong depth of experience leading strategic programs in a fast-paced Technology organization
- Practical hands-on experience with learning programs and machine learning
- Practical experience teaching, public speaking, and/or coaching
- Proven ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams in situations of extreme ambiguity, with only high level direction
- Able to communicate at all levels from engineer to partner, to C-level executives
- Able to influence, negotiate and inspire others in a matrixed environment
- Excellent organization, planning skills, and attention to detail
- Passion for developing engineering talent and building and nurturing a community of learners
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal, relationship building skills conducive to collaboration; able to work well in a cross-functional, matrix management environment
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the big picture view
- Ability to establish credibility and rapport with senior executives and technical and non-technical team members alike
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form; ability to work well with executives, and able to lead and influence across multiple levels and multiple functions of an organization
- This role requires past experience in managing resourcing/staffing, and having worked directly with the C-suite/VP level on a regular basis
- Strong ability to influence and collaborate; comfortable providing strategic advice to senior leadership
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top