At Lyft, community is who we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
The Data Scientist role at Lyft is specifically designed to support and empower our product teams with data-driven insights. Consequently, our Data Scientists work most closely with the Product Managers in their teams helping the full-scope of their activities. This means that as a Data Scientist, you’ll dig into the data to uncover insights, identify opportunities for product improvements, define product metrics, design experiments and measure the impact, and ultimately help influence decision-making across the entire organization.
Lyft Science is fortunate to have a vast expanse of interesting topics in its purview. Data Scientists pursue a variety of problems ranging from understanding our passengers and drivers, delivering the best ride experiences, ensuring we have an efficient marketplace, to optimizing how we run our marketing and growth incentives. We not only have all the usual data science problems of an app-driven consumer product, but also the intricacies of real-world inter-human interactions in a two-sided marketplace, on top a great shared responsibility to build the world’s best transportation that upgrades well-being on our planet.
We’re looking for passionate data scientists to come work alongside us to take on some of the most impactful problems in ridesharing. You’ll be working in a dynamic environment, where we embrace diversity, moving quickly and learning continuously.
Note: For candidates interested in pursuing opportunities more specifically with advanced Machine Learning applications, please see openings with the Research Scientist title.
- Set business metrics that measure the health of our products, as well as passenger and driver experience
- Partner with product managers, engineers, marketers, designers, and operators to translate business insights into decisions and action
- Find opportunities for growth and efficiency for Lyft
- Design and analyze product experiments; communicate results and launch decisions
- Develop analytical frameworks to monitor business and product performance
Experience & Skills:
- Degree in a quantitative field like statistics, economics, applied math, operations research or engineering. Advanced degrees are preferred but not required
- 3+ years of industry experience in a product analytics-based science or stats role
- Proficiency in SQL - able to write structured and efficient queries on large data sets
- Experience in programming, especially with data science and visualization libraries in Python or R
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners to build the business
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Lyft
Lyft is a friendly, affordable ride whenever you need one. Users download the app, request a ride, and get picked up by a friendly driver—all within minutes. From the moment users hop into the car, Lyft is more than a ride. Lyft believes that transportation can bring people together and make communities better, and the company works to creates a new way to live in cities.
Back to top