Counsel, Litigation & Risk
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft is looking for a bright, energetic, and self-motivated attorney with at least 4 years of litigation experience to join our expanding Legal Team. You will partner with and provide legal guidance to departments such as Claims, Risk Solutions, Customer Experience & Trust, Operations, Public Policy, and Communications to help craft solutions to the novel legal challenges Lyft faces every day. The successful candidate will be pragmatic, entrepreneurial and comfortable working in an ambiguous, quickly-changing, and sometimes chaotic environment, with a high workload.
- Primary responsibility — meaning, hands-on work, not just supervising outside counsel — for a variety of legal matters, with an emphasis on personal injury cases, as well as pre-litigation dispute resolution
- Collaborate closely with fellow Legal Team members to develop and implement litigation strategy with an eye toward impact on Lyft’s broader business objectives
- Proactively approach all aspects of litigation, including discovery, motion practice, witness preparation, and trial and appellate strategies
- Analyze pre-litigation and litigation matters to effectively participate in decisions related to resolution strategy and demonstrate an ability to understand interpret, and apply current law and regulations to Lyft’s current and prospective products and services
- Efficient management of outside counsel, including tactical guidance, staffing, case management, budgeting, and alignment with Lyft’s broader legal strategy
- Provide guidance to management on litigation and pre-litigation matters
- Provide sound legal advice cross-functionally to other teams such as Claims and Risk Solutions
- Maintain effective communication with insurance carriers and other third parties
Experience & Skills:
- 4+ years practicing law at a leading law firm or in-house
- J.D. from a top-tier law school
- Member of the California bar
- Strong preference is given to candidates with prior in-house experience and experience advising technology clients as outside counsel
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, judgment, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving workplace
- Ability to think quickly on your feet, convey grace under pressure, and simultaneously manage complex workloads, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities
- Be a resourceful self-starter and have a passion for results - embody Lyft’s culture, and operate with high standards and ethics
- An understanding of the transportation and ridesharing industries, as well as the sharing economy in general
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top