Manufacturing Manager / Facility Buildout + Production / Cambridge, MA - Andover, MA
Advanced Energy Storage has a need for individual that will assume varying roles as the program matures from development to rate production. This position will consist of the following. First, being a Project lead for a factory build out. Second, supporting development builds and forecasting out facility expansions and staffing plans. Lastly, executing to the plans and becoming the site/production lead for rate production.
The first phase will consist of a being a project lead for facility improvements required for production. This portion of the job will consist of coordinating with the general contractor, the Landlord, production operations, Environmental Safety and Health (ESH), etc to ensure the proper improvements are being completed on-time and within budget. This individual will coordinate with Production Operations, Quality, and Engineering to ensure that appropriate capital, tooling, and test equipment are in place to support low rate production. The current space is an empty warehouse that is being upgraded in a phased approach to support the program.
The second phase of this position will be similar to the first, but with the added dimension building a small quantity of product, looking at/ executing capacity expansion plans and developing staffing plans in regard to skill mix and head count. In addition, the position will be responsible for ensuring the product is fabricated and delivered on time and within budget, ensure proper permitting is received, and work details associated with general plant operations (security, office supplies and production supplies).
The last phase of the position will be a continuation of the first two phases, but more in line with the execution of the production line. Properly ensuring the product can be built, proper staffing has been hired, production processes are in place, material receipt and inventory management is in place, etc. during this phase, this position will continue to look at facility capacity and expansion approaches.
In addition, during all phases for this position, there will be efforts to assist/lead the transition of the Coordination Chemistry Flow Battery (CCFB) from development into rate production. This will include activities associated support production proposals, planning associated with the receipt of contract award to delivery of the product for the Coordination Chemistry Flow Battery (CCFB). This individual will be a key part of providing strategic direction, providing day-to-day team direction, and working with supplier(s), lead or co-lead the Supplier Management Team (SMT) and will be empowered to make decisions on behalf of the program.
This person will need to understand funding/budget profiles, schedules, risks; lead the Performance Excellence Plan (PEP), attend the Correct Action Board (CAB), and evaluate capacity forecasting and planning.
Position will flex time between the Cambridge, MA site and the Andover, MA site in 2018, with a majority of the time in Cambridge in 2018. As production ramps up, the expectation would be for the candidates work location to be in Andover, MA as that is where the production facility resides. Travel will also be expected, but on a limited basis to visit suppliers or other Lockheed Martin Sites. Typical travel is 2-3 days in duration and 1-3 times a quarter.
Bachelors degree or equivalent experience/combined education and the following...
• A background of at least 9 years knowledge of Manufacturing Engineering and Quality Engineering
• A broad base of knowledge regarding electronic, electromechanical, and mechanical production
• Appropriate political acumen to successfully present compelling cases to a variety of customers (Program Office, Senior Management, and Engineering)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated skills in team building and leading through influence as the position has no direct reports
• Understands Manufacturing Engineer tasks such as writing planning, evaluating suppliers, evaluating engineering designs, capacity analysis, forecasting for staffing purposes, etc
• Understand Quality Assurance tasks such as developing a quality plan, ensuring proper parts handling, assisting with Quality Metrics, etc
• Prepare and execute to capital, rate tooling and test equipment plans
• Provide / develop inputs to the program IMS and lead tasks production operations tasks
• Develop estimates for various business needs
• Help establish priorities for production during development, low rate production and production
• Evaluate and understand impacts to production from engineering changes
• Experience working with Suppliers
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we're engineering a better tomorrow.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Location(s): Cambridge Massachusetts
Meet Some of Lockheed Martin—Engineering & Operations's Employees
Mechanical Engineering Manager
Matt provides support and leadership to the MFC team that finds ways for idealized designs to be translated into manufacturable products.
Back to top