Staff Systems Engineer
Description: At Lockheed Martin Rotary and Mission Systems (RMS), we are driven by innovation and integrity. We believe that by applying the highest standards of business ethics and visionary thinking, everything is within our reach - and yours as a Lockheed Martin employee. Lockheed Martin values your skills, training and education. Come and experience your future!
The selected candidate will function as the Lead Engineer for the Eglin-based Multi-Spectral Database (MSDB) team utilizing the F-35 Database Generation System (DBGS).
This position with the F-35 Training System Support Center (TSSC) includes design, development and documentation of technical workflows to incorporate latest geospatial data sets and technologies to create accurate immersive environments for F-35 pilot training. The work includes analysis of visual & sensor database requirements and visual database tool requirements. As leader of a multidisciplinary team, the DBGS Lead Engineer will have the opportunity to work with imagery, height maps, and vector data, fusing them together into immersive 3D worlds. The engineer will collaborate regularly with other team disciplines in an effort to share best practices and make design suggestions.
As DBGS Lead, this individual will be responsible for a broad variety of project engineering tasks associated with sustainment of F-35 Pilot Training Device visual and sensor database sustainment including: Eglin MSDB sustainment capability standup; development, production & sustainment engineering process establishment; MSDB process integration with F-35 change workflows; CONUS and OCONUS MSDB training development and delivery; field problem reporting support; MSDB Training System Problem Report (TSPR) action and closure.
This selected candidate will support the change workflow for training devices, including technical coordination and communication between all stakeholders, Joint Program Office personnel, F-35 Air System change management, other training system teams and suppliers. This will include development of engineering change proposals as well as representing these ECPs at multiple review boards to gain authorization for, and approval of, DBGS activity.
Coordination responsibilities will involve all phases of MSDB sustainment change including problem identification, change implementation, integration & test, release, and deployment to the field. For some change efforts, the selected individual will be responsible for design and implementation of product updates.
This position is part of the TSSC organization based at Eglin AFB, Florida but includes responsibility for sustainment of pilot training devices and device change activity at multiple locations across the F-35 Training System enterprise. Some international and domestic travel will be required.
Desired Skills: • Experience in modifying/developing tools/workflows for database production.
• Experience with shell scripting languages such as Python
• AS9100 Quality Management Standards and process engineering
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong verbal & written communications skills
• The ability to collaborate effectively across geographically distributed teams
• Familiarity with F-35 Training System and hardware/software configuration management and product change workflows
• Some international travel will be required
• Experience in technical leadership and successful project management
• Government/Military customer interface experience
• Experience working with commercial or proprietary database toolsets such as Presagis Terra Vista or TerraSim Terra Tools is required.
• Experience with GIS, geography, maps, geospatial concepts, elevation data, imagery, or airport scene data is required.
• Experience working with correlated visual & sensor databases is required.
• Direct experience in one or more of the following areas is desired: Image Generation systems, hardware or software simulation design; visual/multispectral/terrain database design and/or generation, or simulator display design.
• Experience with any of the following tools is desired: ESRI ArcInfo, ESRI ArcGIS, Presagis Creator, GlobalMapper, Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Rockwell Collins ECT, Boeing MMRS Formatter, Altova XMLSPY, and/or Image Magik.
• Prior experience working with airport data such as Pictometry, GeoSketch, OpenFlight, Digital Maps, CADRG, Or DAFIF would be a plus.
• Experience in terrain modeling for thermal and/or radar sensors.
• Demonstrated experience working in an environment with rigorous hardware/software baseline configuration techniques and complex change management systems / workflows
• Candidates must hold, or be able to obtain within 3 months, and maintain F-35 Program Access
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we're engineering a better tomorrow.
Back to top