Orbital Design and Analysis Engineer
Description: Spacecraft Mission Analyst: Perform a broad range of spacecraft mission design, analysis, simulation, and implementation tasks that requires expertise in spacecraft orbit and mission design and analysis. Typical tasks: develop spacecraft propellant budget, spacecraft mission designs, and spacecraft and launch vehicle interface support. Mission design includes transfer orbit burn plans, launch windows, ground station contacts, and stationkeeping. Under general supervision, perform analysis for spacecraft mission design and for spacecraft propellant and dry mass capability prediction. Position will involve work from pre-proposal study phase, proposals, contract phase (PDR, CDR, and pre-launch analysis), pre-flight planning, transfer orbit mission operations and on-orbit spacecraft maneuver planning and operations. Support spacecraft ground system integration & test as well as on-orbit operations.
Desired Skills: This position will benefit from:
- Demonstrated personal skills
o Technical leadership.
o Ability to participate in technical working groups that involve diverse team members and the customer.
o Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deliver products on schedule.
o Possess a learning orientation, adaptability, willing to take on new assignments.
- Experience in mission design for a variety of mission types, mission phases
o Trajectory design trade studies Including low thrust Electric Propulsion
- Functional proficiency in one or more high level programming languages
- Familiarity with spacecraft systems including GNC, propulsion, spacecraft communication systems, software
This position requires:
- Experience in orbital mechanics, orbital dynamics, orbit design, or astrodynamics; complete understanding of orbital design and analyses.
- Experience in low thrust trajectory design applied to Earth orbiting, planetary, or deep space mission designs
- Demonstrated ability to solve a variety of difficult technical problems in mission design and analysis, or related areas.
- Experience with spacecraft trajectory optimization methods and software (C++, Python, Matlab)
- Experience with low thrust trajectory/orbit design and simulation tools (i.e. GMAT, EMTG, STK, Matlab, COTS mission planning tools, etc.).
- Able to communicate clearly on technical matters.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we're engineering a better tomorrow.
Meet Some of Lockheed Martin's Employees
Whitley’s job is all about integrating data sets that will efficiently and effectively move projects through visualization and development stages to final deployment.
Back to top