Opto-Mechanical Senior Staff Engineer - Payload Structural Analyst
- Sunnyvale, CA
Description:The Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) at Lockheed Martin Space is seeking an experienced Opto-mechanical/Precision Mechanism Engineer and Structural Analyst to play a leading role in our design and development work on a variety of passive, active, and directed energy optical payloads. We are looking for engineers with strong mechanical skills, highly relevant and related experience, and a keen interest in optical payloads. OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members coordinate specialists across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group.
With a focus on structural analysis and design, integrated into full payload design and performance assessments, you will be engaged in the design, specification, and procurement support for optical bench assemblies, optical mounts and fixtures, mechanical ground support equipment, alignment fixtures, and a range of related assets to be used in the development, test and manufacture of optical payloads. This position calls for a consistent, responsible, deadline-meeting professional who will:
• Work under broad guidance from senior engineering and program leadership;
• Collaborate and contribute across the design team;
• Guide the work of junior and emerging engineers;
• Engage with prospective and selected suppliers;
• Deliver robust documents and briefings, and;
• Support customer reviews
We are seeking a team member with strong written and oral communication skills. You should also demonstrate strong quantitative skills and the ability to apply them to the formidable mechanical challenges of precision optical payload subsystems.
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 14-20 years of professional experience, a Masters and 12 -18 years, or a PhD and 9-15 years.
**Please note that this role can be located in Sunnyvale, CA or Louisville, CO. If located in Sunnyvale the role has current funding. If located in Louisville, the role is contingent upon funding expected in the 4th quarter of 2020.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin's competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Bachelor's Degree in a technical/engineering field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Opto-mechanical design and engineering experience on complex optical subsystems and assemblies, and/or highly correlated high precision equipment.
• Extensive experience with industry standard Computer Aided Design and Structural Analysis tools such as CREO, NASTRAN, and NX.
• US Citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI clearance
• Advanced knowledge of, and practical design expertise in, space and/or missile defense optical payload systems.
• Advanced degree in Engineering or Science
• Proposal writing experience.
• Ability to innovate and create intellectual property, demonstrated by patents, new products, or publications.
• Leadership experience on a team of 5 or more engineers
• Presently hold TS/SCI or have a current background investigation providing TS/SCI eligibility.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Back to top