Optical Payload Optical Sensor Components Senior Manager
- Broomfield, CO
Description:Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration, and seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then join Lockheed Martin Space's Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for as an Optical Payload Optical Sensor Components Senior Manager! OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our amazing people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world's hardest engineering problems.
We are looking for a strong leader to develop high TRL (test readiness level) products for missile and space hardware. You will report and be deployed into Space Engineering and Technology (E&T) Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) organization. This position will lead a group to develop a product portfolio consisting of focal plane assemblies (FPAs), lasers, lidar receivers, optics and optical coatings, calibrators, payload electronics and other strategic electro-optical components. As a Lockheed Martin leader, you will be responsible for recruitment, development, assignment, and evaluation of your team to support our company's programs. You will initiate efforts to create a welcoming and diverse working environment for our employees.
The Optical Sensor Components department works with the OPCoE Chief Engineer, architects and Fellows to develop product maturation plans in accordance with Lines of Business (LOB) roadmaps and need dates. This group will keep abreast of SOA (State of Art) as well as SOP (State of Practice) to provide subject matter expertise (SME) across all program lifecycles. This group will be consulted on make/buy decisions for their products and would be the execution team if a "make" decision was determined by the program. You will significantly impact the enterprise through establishment of a dedicated team working to drive common, high TRL payload products across programs.
As the Optical Payload Optical Sensor Components Senior Manager, you will:
• Partner with Lines of Business (LOB), OPCoE Program Development, and OPCoE Payload Systems Engineering teams to develop architectures in a consistent manner to allow use of common products
• Develop transition plans for low TRL products from the science and technology community. An example will be to work with the ATC (Advanced Technology Center) and ensure handoffs are understood between the two organizations.
• In coordination with OPCoE Program Development, propose and execute IRAD projects with a goal of standardization and maturation. You will identify targeted products to reach a state that can be considered "high TRL", "commodity" or "Off- the-Shelf".
• Enhance relationships with strategic suppliers and other LM Business Areas (BAs) to compliment the in-house OPCoE team.
• Perform as part of the Integrated Product Team (IPT) in cases where an OPCOE make is selected. Your team will support through all program phases and be responsible for EU (engineering unit), qualification and flight as determined by the program. This may be at the component, sub-assembly or subsystem level.
• Work closely with Payload IPTs leads and LOB leadership to understand mission drivers. Fold emerging mission trends into product roadmap to ensure a discriminating edge
• Implement and lead technical knowledge management to develop and maintain core competencies, key technical skills, knowledge continuity and facilitate career advancement opportunities to employees.
• Handle staffing requirements, sustain engineering capabilities and preserve critical skills.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Learn more about Lockheed Martin's competitive and comprehensi
• Demonstrated experience working across space and ground applications
• Established experience in developing technical talent and building pipelines to sustain technical expertise within the organization
• Bachelors degree in technical discipline (i.e., mechanical, electrical, or other engineering/science discipline), or equivalent combination of education and experience
• US citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI with Poly clearance
• Current TS/SCI clearance with Poly
• 12 years of demonstrated technical expertise
• 5 years demonstrated hands-on expertise in space OR complex hardware/software systems
• Demonstrated experience with developing and implementing focal plane arrays (FPAs). For passive EO, we work with staring and scanning FPAs in the visible and IR domain. For active EO, we work across multiple types of lidar receiver arrays, primarily GmAPD.
• Demonstrated experience with payload electronics. This may include payload controllers, image data processors, mission data routers, sensor bias and interface electronics, and laser/lidar controllers.
• Demonstrated experience in signal chains. A signal chain typically refers to the command and routing/processing/dissemination of mission data. There are usually multiple components that encompass a signal chain: front end E-O convertor (i.e., focal plane), image data processor, image data router, and image data storage
• Demonstrated experience in developing calibrators, optical components and developing/evaluating optical coatings. We work with a range of optical systems starting from the sub-meter class through apertures greater than 1.5M.
• Demonstrated experience in developing active EO (lidar systems). We work with fiber and planar waveguide lasers. These lasers output a range of power densities that encompass use in long range imaging applications all the way through directed energy applications.
• Have experience in developing space qualification plans for components
• Excellent communications skills both verbal and written with the proven ability to communicate
• Demonstrated ability to drive closure and resolve complex technical issues/challenges.
• Variety of customer experience and exposure across Space Lines-Of-Businesses.
• Prior Full Spectrum Leadership roles with proven experience leading employees to perform productively and foster relationships in a cross-functional team environment
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Back to top