Optical Engineer Asc
Here within Lockheed Martin's Laser and Sensor Systems Business we are looking for an Optical Engineer to join our team. Lockheed Martin Laser and Sensor Systems delivers innovative laser solutions for the defense, aerospace, industrial, and scientific markets. Our group offers the stability and prestige of a fortune 100 company with the feel of a startup company and a very strong entrepreneurial spirit.
Due to the variety of the work products, the candidate will need a flexible and adaptable skill set, with a strong learning orientation. This position will perform detailed engineering design and analysis roles.
The Optical Engineer will work in an environment where innovation is a part of our culture. This exciting work will include the design and development of fiber laser systems that are field deployable in military environments. Our Optical Engineer will:
• Design, build and operate single-mode, kilowatt-class high power fiber lasers and state of the art pulsed fiber lasers for military applications.
• Troubleshoot complex fiber optical systems including control electronics and software.
• Understand the implications of electrical, mechanical, thermal and software subsystems on the optical performance of a laser.
• Work in an optical lab to execute experiments and to validate new design architectures.
• Evaluate potential new tools and equipment for effectiveness and relevance.
• Perform trade-off analyses.
• Apply technical expertise to develop solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
• Collaborate extensively local teammates and may also correspond and share best practices with teams from other groups across Lockheed Martin.
Must be comfortable within a rapid development environment; able to execute within short timelines and a given budget. Attention to detail, strong interpersonal skills, ability to multitask, good organizational skills, computer literacy, and a demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment.
Security Clearance Requirements: Applicants selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
The Locale: Bothell is a city located in the state of Washington in the Pacific Northwest. It is part of the Seattle metropolitan area. Bothell is home to Cascadia Community College and the University of Washington, Bothell.
Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education. Entry level. Minimum 3.0 GPA.
• Build and operate pulsed lasers and non-linear pulsed systems.
• Define fiber laser system architectures.
• Build and operate single-mode, kilowatt-class high power fiber lasers.
• Conduct laser and optical analysis using fundamental physics and engineering principles.
• Design and conduct optical lab experiments.
• Analyze experimental data to identify design elements that improve and drive laser development and design.
• Use Labview and MatLab for experimental data collection and analysis
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we're engineering a better tomorrow.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Location(s): Bothell Washington
Meet Some of Lockheed Martin's Employees
Whitley’s job is all about integrating data sets that will efficiently and effectively move projects through visualization and development stages to final deployment.
Back to top