Mechanical Engineer Staff
- Baltimore, MD
Description:Mechanical Engineer Staff will perform structural design of metallic and composite structures for naval, launching systems, and missile systems projects. Tasks may include:
• Creating Design Concepts from scratch and leveraging prior successful work
• Maturing Design Concepts through layouts, details, assemblies, part and material selection through to final design models and drawings including collaboration with stress, dynamics, thermal, fluid & gas dynamics, RM&A, and Safety engineers
• Leading, organizing and delegating to a team of engineers to accomplish a complex system or sub-system design through preliminary and critical design reviews, development and qualification testing, transition to production, and providing consulting to lifecycle support
• Design for Manufacturing including optimizing designs for in-house and supplier manufacturing capabilities and efficiencies, including additive manufacturing
• Creating highly manufacturable weldment designs and drawings with callouts in accordance with governing military specifications for weld joint design, weld efficiency, and inspection. Working knowledge of weld shrinkage effects, weldment fixturing, and types of welding processes desirable
Knowledge of computer design tools, especially CREO, and experience working in a design for manufacturing environment are desirable.
Previous DOD experience is desirable.
The Locale: Located on the Chesapeake Bay, Middle River is an unincorporated community in Baltimore County, Maryland. It is located 10 minutes from Downtown Baltimore, featuring the famous Inner Harbor, renowned National Aquarium, and Fort McHenry - the birth place of the Star Spangled Banner. Amtrak and the Maryland Transit Administration's MARC Train supply both regular and commuter rail service to Baltimore, Washington, DC and surrounding areas. The Middle River facility is less than an hour away from the Lockheed Martin Corporate offices in Bethesda, MD. Baltimore/Middle River is a centralized location on the eastern seaboard and the Lockheed Martin facility is located less than a mile from the Martin State Airport train station allowing for easy commuting to and from many locations on the east coast. Our facility houses an on-site gym, wellness center, and the Lockheed Martin Federal Credit Union. A one to four hour drive takes you to areas such as Washington, DC, Philadelphia, New York, as well as the Virginia/Maryland Eastern Shore, DelMarVa beaches, the Jersey shore, and West Virginia. Annapolis, Maryland, the state capital, is less than an hour away and while there a visit to the home of the United States Naval Academy or traveling the Baltimore and Annapolis bike/hiking trail is a must. Washington, DC is also within a 2 hour drive, featuring many of the national museums, monuments, and memorials as well as the renowned National Zoological Park. Due to the variety of topography, the state of Maryland is known as America In Miniature. This includes the beaches on the Eastern Shore to the marshlands to the mountains in Western Maryland. There are many activities to participate in including hiking/biking trails, league sports, white water rafting, fishing, skiing/snowboarding to name a few.
- Skills in Engineering (i.e. Mechanical Engineering) along with a Degree in an Engineering principle.
- Working experience with CREO
- Experience creating, modeling, fully dimensioning and documenting models as a production level drawing package (CREO CAD package preferred).
• An advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related technical field may be desired for this position
• Experience creating, modeling, fully dimensioning and documenting models as a production level drawing package (CREO CAD package preferred).
• Understand and implement Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing according to ASME 14.5.
• Experience with large assembly model management.
• Experience and understanding of standard weld symbols and implementation on designs/drawings.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills.
• Familiarity with standard Microsoft Office applications.
• Previous DOD experience is desirable
• Act as a technical leader
• Ability to lead and drive programs to completion
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Back to top