Manager, Electro-Optical Engineering
- Sunnyvale, CA
Description:The Advanced Programs Remote Sensing (APRS) Optical Payload Manager is responsible for strategic and technical leadership for emerging capabilities and programs related to remote sensing for the Special Programs Line of Business (LOB). As a manager in this area, you will be responsible for:
• Coordinating and leading Internal Research and Development (IRAD)
• Leading and running Contract Research and Development (CRAD) from inception through execution in areas of strategic importance for Special Programs
• Valuation and development of in-house solutions and supplier derived capabilities to provide the best value for our mission partners
To support APRS activities, you will play a meaningful role in coordinating with the Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) and the rest of Engineering & Technology. You will lead a team of engineers and technologists who hold a combination of program and technical responsibility spanning program reviews, staffing, professional development, team building, and implementation of Lockheed Martin's formal management practices.
Your responsibilities in this role will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Payload architecture, design, development, and delivery for Space and Airborne systems
• Program management and/or Systems engineering leadership on both Programs of Record and Rapid Development programs
• Leading APRS Payloads/sensor strategy development, execution, and briefings
• Leading APRS Space Resiliency studies, strategy, development, execution and briefings
• IRAD planning and coordination to develop key discriminators
• Working with customers, preparing briefings, handling customer expectations
• Capturing new business, proposal leadership and development
• Talent assessment and development
• Workforce planning and implementation
• Application of company and government policies and procedures and regulations
• Development and administration of employee performance evaluations, salary adjustments and promotions
We are seeking a leader who has proven experience advancing technology for program insertion. We will look for your demonstrated ability to drive closure and resolve complex and large-scale technical issues and challenges. You should have excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate to all levels both internally and externally. We would also like to see experience in developing technical talent and building pipelines to sustain technical expertise within your organization. Ability to motivate teams in a matrix environment deployed across multiple locations will be key to your success. Strong interpersonal and people management skills are essential.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin's competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Engineering or Technical Degree or equivalent
• Demonstrated experience advancing technology for
• Demonstrated experience managing R&D teams
• System engineering knowledge for the development and
verification of optical payloads and sensors
• Program management experience
• Excellent communications skills both verbal and written
with the proven ability to communicate to all levels
internally and externally.
• Demonstrated ability to drive closure and resolve
complex and large scale technical issues/challenges.
• Demonstrated experience in developing technical talent
and building pipelines to sustain technical expertise within
• Ability to motivate teams in a matrix environment
deployed across multiple locations
• Demonstrated Full Spectrum Leadership Imperatives
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal/team skills
• Active TS/SCI security clearance
• Related Master's or PhD degree is preferred
• Experience with phenomenologies in the areas of lidar,
mid-wave infrared imaging, hyperspectral sensing, and/or
• Experience with focal planes, receivers, and/or high
• Experience in the development and integration of
algorithms for data exploitation, computer vision, or
• Experience with development and evaluation of Deep
Learning / Artificial Intelligence techniques
• Experience with Program Management (including Earned
• Experience managing/leading Department of Defense
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Back to top