Manager, Aviation Safety Management System (SMS)
Description: 1. OVERALL PURPOSE
The safety manager is responsible for providing guidance and direction for the planning, implementation and
operation of the organization's aviation safety management system (SMS). The safety manager reports directly to the
Director of Aviation & Product Safety.
2. KEY ROLES
• Demonstrates an excellent safety behaviour and attitude, follows regulatory practices and rules, recognizes
and Promotes hazard reporting and ensures effective safety reporting.
• Models and promotes an organizational culture that fosters safety practices through effective leadership.
• Acts as an information conduit to bring safety issues to the attention of management and to deliver safety
information to the organization's staff, contractors and stakeholders.
• Provides and articulates information regarding safety issues within the organization.
• Fosters the continuous improvement of the hazard identification and safety risk assessment schemes and
the organization's SMS.
• Builds and maintains an excellent working relationship throughout Sikorsky and with the organization's Senior Safety Council (SSC) and within the Product Safety Board (PSB).
• Represents the organization on government, international organization and industry committees (e.g. ICAO, IATA, CAA, AIB, etc.).
• Analyses technical data for trends related to hazards, events and occurrences.
• Effectively utilizes applicable processes and procedures to fulfill roles and responsibilities.
• Investigates opportunities to increase the efficiency of processes.
• Measures the effectiveness and seeks to continually improve the quality of processes.
3.1 The position requires the ability to cope with changing circumstances and situations with little supervision.
The safety manager acts independently of other managers within the organization.
3.2 The safety manager is responsible for providing information and advice to senior management and to the
Accountable Executive on matters relating to safe operations. Tact, diplomacy and a high degree of integrity are prerequisites.
3.3 The job requires flexibility because assignments may be undertaken with little or no notice and outside normal work hours.
4. NATURE AND SCOPE
The safety manager must interact with operational personnel, senior managers and departmental heads
throughout the organization. The safety manager should also foster positive relationships with regulatory
authorities, agencies and service providers outside the organization. Other contacts will be established at a
working level as appropriate.
5.1 Regarding safety matters, the safety manager has direct access to the Accountable Executive and
appropriate senior and middle management.
5.2 The safety manager is authorized to conduct safety audits, surveys and inspections of any aspect of the operation.
5.3 The safety manager has the authority to conduct investigations of internal safety events in accordance with
the company procedures.
Desired Skills: a) Broad operational knowledge and experience in the functions of the organization (e.g. training management, aircraft operations, air traffic management, aerodrome operations, and maintenance organization management);
b) Proven exposure to Safety, Quality Assurance, Systems Engineering
c) General management - Budgeting, HR and Project Management.
d) Ability to relate to all levels, both inside and outside the organization;
e) Leadership skills and an authoritative approach;
f) Worthy of respect from peers and management.
g) M.S. in Safety Management or related discipline
a) Sound knowledge of safety management principles and practices;
b) Good written and verbal communication skills;
c) Well-developed interpersonal skills;
d) B.S. in Aeronautical Science, Safety Management, Engineering or equivalent
e) Proven experience in the Aviation environment
f) Proven knowledge of FAA Legislation, NAS 9927, and ICAO Annexes;
g) Organizational ability;
h) Ability to work unsupervised;
i) Good analytical skills
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we're engineering a better tomorrow.
Back to top