Fiber Laser Engineer
- Broomfield, CO
Description:Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration, and seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then you should join Lockheed Martin Space's Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for space applications as an Electro-Optical Engineer!
We are seeking a hardworking, highly motivated Electro-Optical (EO) Engineer to work in the area of fiber laser systems for the next generation of Electro-Optical Payloads and Systems. You will work closely with our Payload system architects and other EO Engineers to understand key requirements and to develop and build mature program solutions.
Some of your specific responsibilities will include:
• Performing the conceptual design, analysis, detailed design and development of technologies, techniques, and implementations for fiber laser systems, non-liner optical materials, and/or other laser remote sensing systems, with emphasis on fiber laser components
• Working with optical systems and architectures engineering teams, and product engineering to ensure successful systems design, development, modeling and simulation, analysis, and testing
• Performing design trade studies and system verification analyses to optimize candidate system performance, cost, size and weight
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, internal and external customers, suppliers and other partners
• Performing other duties as necessary
We are looking for someone with strong analytic and communication skills. You will be working in dynamic, multi-disciplinary system development teams, participating with architecture design & development teams in active optical system development. You have some exposure in the study of physical interactions, processes, and spectroscopy to understand their applications relative to a particular EO Sensor design. Your experience should include new concept formation & analysis, rapid prototype development, and rapid TRL progression of developed technologies to initial products. We will look to you for strong technical writing, presentation skills for reports, proposals, technical presentations, and interaction with customers, team members, and suppliers. The ability to communicate complex ideas and explain relevant technology and concepts to an audience of both specialists and non-experts will be essential to success.
**This position may require domestic travel as necessary to fulfill job responsibilities
This position is contingent upon program award expected in 4th quarter 2020.
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 9 - 15 years of professional experience, a Masters and 7 - 13 years, or a PhD and 3 - 10 years.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin's competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Demonstrated skills and experience of the design and development of fiber lasers and their use in applications, such as: laser radar, active and passive remote sensing, imaging, directed energy, electronic warfare, optical communications, spectroscopy, and/or atomic physics
• Experience in hardware development at multiple levels of technical maturity
• Exposure to and understanding of the systems engineering, integration, and test of work products, tools, and associated processes
• US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance
• Knowledge and experience developing fiber-based optical sources, developing high power, high energy fiber-based master oscillator power amplifier systems, pulsed front ends, specifying fiber optic devices and components, predicting system performance, and troubleshooting fiber-based systems and components
• Knowledge and experience with nonlinear optical phenomena in optical fibers including stimulated Brillouin scattering, stimulated Raman scattering, self-phase modulation, four-wave mixing, etc., and standard mitigation strategies
• Knowledge and experience using large mode area and photonic crystal fibers
• Knowledge and experience cleaving and splicing a variety of fibers and fiber coupled components
• Knowledge of laser remote sensing and/or laser-based free-space optical communications theory, applications, systems and techniques.
• Experience is desired in end-to-end optical remote sensor development.
• Demonstrated proficiency in proposal writing and other aspects of business development is desired.
• Active TS/SCI clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Back to top