Electro-Optical Engineer - Telescopes
- Broomfield, CO
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet... or any other... are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our outstanding people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world's hardest engineering problems. Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration? Then you should join Lockheed Martin Space's Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for space applications as a Senior Staff Electro-Optical Engineer!
We are looking for a strong background in electro-optical engineering to develop high TRL (Technical Readiness Level) products for missile and space hardware. This position will report to a group that develops a product portfolio consisting of payload controllers, image data processors, high rate data routers, memory/storage devices, focal plane bias and regulation electronics, fast steering mirror controllers, laser controllers, cryocooler electronics and other strategic electro-optical components.
You should demonstrate effective verbal communication, develop concise and professional technical presentations, and deliver briefings to peers, leadership, and US Government customers. We are seeking a new colleague who is willing and able to work in a classified environment.
As a Senior Staff Electro-Optical Engineer you will be: (a) leading the development of electro-optical sensor controllers and working with Systems Engineering and suppliers (b) leading program technical reviews throughout the product development and maturation processes assuring optical payload configuration Items, optical components with specific characteristics are within specified l requirements and perform according to specifications, (c) reporting progress periodically
Specific responsibilities include:
• Perform as Lead Engineer for the development of telescope systems for space applications
• Providing technical guidance and direction to vendors and LM design teams to ensure compliance of optical products with all program requirements
• Experience in telescope component and optical design, development and fabrication; assembly and subsystem integration; and functional and performance verification testing
• Generation of telescope Product Certifications for space flight hardware
• Identify derived functional and performance requirements, allocate requirements to physical and functional architectural elements, evaluate requirements through design, integration, and operational validation
• Creation of technology maturation and risk reduction plans for critical elements and subsystems
• Evaluate change order and Request for Proposal (RFP) documents
• Manage risk and identify mitigation plans to meet productivity, quality, cost, schedule, and mission success objectives
You would typically have 14 years of experience with a Bachelors degree, or 12 years with a Masters degree.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin's competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Bachelors degree or higher in mechanical engineering, physics, or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
• Experience as a technical product lead for optical systems, telescopes, or components for space applications
• U.S. citizenship with ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
• Experience with optical payload mechanisms such as focus/alignment drives, shutters, filter wheels and fast steering mirrors.
• Experience with the following electro-optical sensors: For passive EO, staring and scanning FPAs in the visible and IR domain. For active EO, multiple types of lidar receiver arrays, primarily GmAPD
• Experience with telescope designs, optical components (refractive/reflective/diffractive/polarizing/metallics, absorbing and interference coatings), optical structures and mounts for space applications
• Experience with structural designs for space applications . Understanding should cover material properties of metallics, non-metallics (glasses, SiC), composites and adhesives; thermo-mechanical modeling and basis testing; structural dynamics (static, dynamic, shock)
• Experience with space environments and testing for components
• Experience with electrical control systems for telescopes, spanning the areas of thermal, mechanism, sensors interfacing and processing
• Experience with systems engineering lifecycle processes for requirements development, verification planning, test and compliance
• Experience with alignment and testing techniques leading to the verification of optical performance metrics and diagnosing optical aberrations
• Familiarity with processes on failure investigation (root cause analysis, Failure Review Boards, etc.)
• Current TS/SCI w/poly clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Back to top