ElectroMechanical Engineer Senior
Description: The candidate will support, Lockheed Martin's Targets and Torpedoes business area with their primary focus on acoustics, transducer development, underwater vehicle design and analysis. Acting as an individual contributor and when needed can lead small teams in development efforts. This will include participating in design best practice efforts including FEA, thermal analysis, fluid mechanical analysis, as well as others. The position will require the individual to hold a major contributing role within the overall Technical Operations (Tech OPS) organization; as such they will be expected to prepare and present materials for peer reviews, design reviews, DFMEA discussion, DFX meetings and group discussions on technical aspects of the design. The individual will be expected to work cross functionally within the Tech Ops organization as well as across the company. The candidate will need to be able to work independently to complete design tasks. Ongoing job responsibilities include:
• Knowledgeable in the use and performance of transducer encapsulating material.
• Complete understanding of the underlying multi-physic principals of piezoelectric transducer design.
• Knowledgeable in the materials typically used for transducer fabrication.
• Analytical transducer modeling experience.
• Finite Element transducer modeling experience (ANSYS preferred)
• Experience in performing acoustic testing, drafting test plans, test setup, writing test reports, processing acoustic test data outputs (TVR, SPL, Beam patterns)
• Provides technical experience for design and manufacturing related matters
• Design and release drawings to meet internal and external commitments.
• Reviews and develops product validation and verification plans at all product levels and ensure customer and internal requirements are met. Responsible for implementing this plan and identifying resources to support the plan.
• Updates program management on project progress and roadblocks.
• Conducts cost/benefit trade-off analysis and feasibility studies.
• Develop design specifications for components, assembled parts and equipment for design validation. Develop and implement new fixtures and tooling
• Demonstrate manufacturing feasibility and technical justification for selected design approach
• Support product lifecycle management ushering a product from concept through production implementation.
Desired Skills: • Experience designing and developing some to all of the following transducer topologies: Cylindrical rings, segmented rings, split rings, flexural disks, flextensional, bender bars, magnetostrictive transducers, moving coils, spherical or hemispherical transducers, piston / tonpilz transducers, body mounted/hull and towed arrays.
• Ability and willingness to work on multiple projects at one time and be able to adapt to changing priorities.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and excel in a self-directed work environment as well as within a cross functional team.
• Good Oral and written communication skills.
• Analytical and demonstrated problem solving skills.
• Experience with the CREO and Mathcad design tools
• Experience with other simulation tools a plus.
• Underwater vehicle experience with a strong focus on acoustics including underwater acoustic measurement techniques, electroacoustic system modeling and underwater acoustic propagation.
• Deep understanding of electromechanical design.
• A demonstrated ability to quickly and accurately drive actions to closure.
• Ability to effectively present to internal and external customers.
• Working knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Project, Visio, Project, and Outlook).
• Ability to travel up to 15%, both international and domestic.
• Working knowledge of ANSYS simulation software
• Working knowledge of MATLAB analysis tools
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we're engineering a better tomorrow.
Back to top