Assoc Flight Controls & Handling Qualities Flight Test Engr, Pax River
Description: Test planning function involves determining measurement and flight condition requirements necessary to safely provide evaluation, qualification and certification data. These details are written into published test plans.
Test conduct involves briefing flight and ground crews and real-time telemetry monitoring of critical parameters. Large volumes of gathered flight data are processed, analyzed, and reported. These results are written into published test reports.
Work closely with senior flight test engineers to become familiar with the flight control system hardware components and software, instrumentation, data processing tools and flight test procedures. Identify problems on the test aircraft and troubleshoot the issue.
Utilize Matlab to analyze flight test data and work with control laws.
Fly on board experimental aircraft to conduct test flights, modify software flight test variables, and collect data.
Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering or Electrical Engineering with Plan, conduct, manage and report flight control systems and handling qualities flight tests.
The applicant will be expected to have working knowledge of control systems design, analysis techniques, and testing.
- Team projects that demonstrate an ability to be successful in team environments.
- Previous work experience with companies and organizations in a professional engineering capacity (e.g. internship or co-op program).
- Be able to obtain an FAA third class medical and to pass a water survival course.
- General aviation knowledge; pilot license is preferred.Key skills and knowledge required are:
- Analytical thinking
- Problem solving
- Communication--written and oral- Technical writing.
- Computer skills: Matlab/Simulink, Microsoft Office applications.
This position also involves significant teamwork and coordination with flight test co-workers in a variety of disciplines (pilots, mechanics, inspectors, instrumentation, and data technicians), qualification or certification authority representatives and subject matter expert design engineers. The applicant will also team with design engineering by participating in simulation testing. Good interpersonal skills are imperative.
Personal flexibility is required to occasionally support unusual working hours and travel to conduct off-site testing.
This position will be primarily located in Patuxent River, MD and is dependent upon the anticipated duration of the CH-53K helicopter test program, which is currently in progress in MD and is expected to end in Q3 2019. The employee may initially begin this assignment working at the Development Flight Center (DFC) in Jupiter, FL for training and will then transfer to NAS Pax River until the completion of the flight test program. At the conclusion of the CH-53K helicopter test program, the employee may be offered the opportunity to relocate to the DFC to support future flight test programs, pending business conditions.
While working at Pax River, Sikorsky employees must follow operating procedures as established by the customer which include:
- Must be a US citizen.
- Must currently have and/or be capable of obtaining a security clearance.
- Must currently have or be capable of successfully completing an NCIC criminal background check to access Pax NAS.
- Must have a valid photo ID (driver's license +social security card or birth certificate OR US passport).
- Must have valid driver's license/vehicle insurance to drive on base at Pax NAS.
Based on current test plan schedule..
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we're engineering a better tomorrow.
Back to top