Staff Infrastructure Engineer
Lob is building a suite of APIs to simplify and automate enterprise workflows. Our most popular product is our print and mail API that enables companies to send physical mail as effortlessly as sending emails. This API helps individuals and enterprise customers programmatically send physical mail at scale. Our second API focuses on address verification. It is officially CASS-certified by the USPS. Our long-term goal is to provide the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world through APIs. We’re looking for great problem-solvers to help us figure out how.
Our engineering team values agility, collaboration, and autonomy. We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on new problems that no other companies have solved before. Come join the best people in the business.
As a member of our infrastructure team, you'll build the foundational systems that all Lob engineers use to develop and deploy their applications, make infrastructure easier to understand and maintain by creating layers of abstraction, and offload as much as possible (e.g. security, metrics, logging) into the infrastructure layer so that every new service will get it all "for free".
Our primary goal is to build systems that are easy to use so that Lob's application engineers can create new features and solving our customers' problems as fast as possible. An effective member of the Infrastructure team is a force multiplier for the entire engineering team. We have the luxury of being close to the users of our systems, so we can very easily get feedback about where we should be spending our time. This means that the work that we do is very high impact.
As a Staff Infrastructure Engineer, you'll...
- Design solutions to make other Lob engineers as efficient as possible
- Write production-quality code to reduce toil for the Infrastructure team and alleviate on-call burdens through automation
- Implement layers of abstraction to make creating new infrastructure as self-service as possible to prevent the Infrastructure team from becoming a development bottleneck
- Create developer tools for other Lob engineers to help simplify interacting with integrated systems
- Assist other teams to utilize our observability tools to debug production systems
- Be a pioneer and advocate for open-source technologies that are new to Lob and could help solve some fundamental challenges (e.g. CI/CD, container orchestration, logging, etc)
For this role, we're looking for...
- 6+ years of experience implementing and maintaining distributed systems such as Elasticsearch and Kubernetes
- Experience developing production-quality tools and/or services with automated tests
- A drive to solve problems through automation so that you have more time to tackle more important projects
- The ability to communicate and collaborate with people with varying levels of technical expertise
- Experience using the Software Development Life Cycle (e.g. version control, code review, continuous integration, etc) to manage cloud-based infrastructure
- A desire to instrument and monitor as much as possible and to make decisions backed by data
- A DevOps mindset to give application engineers ownership over their infrastructure, but with guardrails in place to enforce security, scalability, and consistency
- Experience implementing solutions in a way that is sympathetic to both engineers and our end-users
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals
Back to top