In this key position the Visual Supervisor is primarily responsible for every aspect of the Living Spaces Visual SOP and secondarily, in partnership with the Logistics Supervisor, for every aspect of Living Spaces Brand SOP. The ultimate goal for the Visual Supervisor is to ensure world-class showroom presentations that are current and inspire guests by delivering the best possible Brand Experience in the store. This is accomplished by building and developing team members through the execution of Foundational Excellence (SOP, Talent, and Leadership).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Training - ensure that team members are properly trained
- Complete and demonstrate competency in all Learning Spaces training modules
- Partner with the Brand Manager to manage the learning of new hires and existing team members
- Primary responsibility for Visual Merchandiser(s) and Labeler(s)
- Shared responsibility with the Logistics Supervisor for the remainder of the team
- Manage team member attendance for Visual Onboarding
- Build a passion for the product with the Brand Team through product knowledge and Living Spaces brand training
- Train for department safety
- Store/Department Experience
- Ensure that the store is "Grand Opening" ready by identifying merchandising recovery opportunities and prioritizing areas of concern
- Manage team collaboration and execution of showroom recovery by the Brand Team
- Partner with the Brand Manager and Logistics Supervisor to include the store team in maintaining a great guest brand experience through DTLs
- Gate-keep the visual appeal of the store to all guests
- Corporate Branded Merchandising - manage and execute:
- Corporate ordered directives
- Company-wide campaign displays
- Execution of branded planograms and assignments
- Reports - complete and communicate reports and photos to the following:
- All reports to the Brand Manager
- Specified reports to Corporate Partners, Regional Support, and the Director of Brand as needed
- Profitable Outcomes
- Partner with the Brand Manager to meet and exceed gross margin goals
- Centralize the focus on merchandize being sold
- Capitalize on product potential
- Monitor company-to-store campaigns in accessory sales
- Partner with the Brand Manager, General Manager, and Delements Manager to execute merchandising tactics that will drive accessory sales
- Guest Engagement - engage with guests:
- Technically through merchandising and managing the Living Spaces brand to enhance guest experience
- Verbally through guest engagement with the following intent:
- To assist with sales
- To learn from guests what they expect from our brand
- To validate guest experience of the Living Spaces brand
- Inventory and Warehouse Management
- Product Flow - responsible for using "Door to Floor" process to move and track each item
- Inventory - manage the inventory of all product
- Visual Warehouse Space - maintain for proper staging, labeling, and organization
- Performance Management - Able to change current reality through gap management and by creating business plans for:
- People - able to tell a story of the growth and development of each team member based on behaviors
- Process - able to tell a story of how each SOP inconsistency and/or opportunity has shown improvement
- Product - able to tell a story of how each product inconsistency and/or opportunity has shown improvement
- Team Leadership - Able build and lead the team to achieve goals and complete tasks. Able to bring energy to the team by motivating the entire team to greatness.
- Primary focus - provide leadership for the Visual Merchandiser(s) and Labeler(s)
- Secondary focus - partner with the Logistics Supervisor to provide leadership for the remainder of the Brand Team
- Partnerships - Able to build productive working relationships with:
- General Manager, Sales Managers, and Operations Manager
- Retail Brand Director and Regional Brand Support team
- Corporate Director of Merchandising and the Purchasing Team
- Department Leads and Operations Leads/Supervisor from same store
- Visual Supervisors from other stores
- Distribution Team
- SOP - Adhere to all company standard operating policies and procedures.
- Complete other duties assigned at the discretion of management.
- Partner with the Brand Manager to meet and exceed gross margin goals
Education and Experience
- 2-4 year degree in Visual Communications, Visual Merchandising, or Interior Design recommended or equivalent work experience
- previous field experience in visual merchandising, interior design, commercial design, furniture retail, home staging, set design, or interior space planning required
- 2 years of related retail leadership preferred
- 2-3 years of project management recommended
- 2 years of retail "big box" experience recommended
Living Spaces Retail Values
We expect all retail team members to understand and live the following values while on the job. We believe these are critical in creating an environment and culture where a team of world class leaders, regardless of title or position, create the best possible team member, guest, and financial outcomes for Living Spaces Furniture.
- Show integrity, objectivity, and adaptability
- Do things for people, not to people
- Work in unity to deliver greatness while building for the future
- Lead in service to others
The annual review will be accompanied by a discussion of how results are supported by SOP, Talent, and Leadership. A list of the annual review criteria is provided at the time of hire and is available at any time on request.
- Demonstrates key Talent behaviors (Capacity, Commitment, Coachability, Self-Assess, Collaborate, and Self-Initiate).
- Demonstrates key Leadership skills, starting with the ability to communicate effectively with guests and team members.
- Knowledge of design styles, style definitions, and furniture related terminology
- Ability to drive results through managing a team of creative individuals and manage multiple projects
- Ability to spot furniture trends and merchandising influences that drive sales
- Ability to adapt to changing needs of the business
- Demonstrates key Training skills, starting with the ability to coach and provide effective feedback.
- Demonstrates effective analytical skills.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced retail environment and adapt to the changing needs of the business.
- Ability to work flexible retail hours including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Basic knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the team member is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The team member must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Peripheral vision, Distance vision, and Ability to adjust focus. The team member must be able to climb a ladder occasionally. The team member may have to lift items over head.
Meet Some of Living Spaces's Employees
Jennifer trains the Living Spaces general managers across locations. She helps build leadership skills and team talent to ensure excellent sales and service in each store.
Back to top