Summary: The primary role of the Sales Manager is to teach, train, and develop the sales team in their understanding and application of Foundational Excellence (SOP, Talent, and Leadership). This will enable the store and the departments within to exceed targeted revenue budget while maintaining the highest levels of guest satisfaction as measured by guest surveys. To accomplish this, the Sales Manager will maintain a primary focus on the support and development of the Department Leads and ensure that each member of the sales team understands their individual role as it relates to all components of the sales SOP.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Staffing - Ensure that each selling department is fully staffed with the right number of people with the right talent to meet SOP expectations.
- Scheduling - Ensure that selling departments are scheduled to optimize productivity and efficiency.
- Training - Ensure that Department Leads have completed training and demonstrate the ability to effectively execute to company expectations all new (or promoted) hire and ongoing training modules. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Coaching and one-on-one training methods
- Practice through role playing with feedback
- "Train the trainer" on training skills
- Assessing the business and SOP execution
- Leadership skill development
- Sales Floor Leadership - Take complete ownership of the sales floor and of financial outcomes (measured by SPVV) through execution of the SFL SOP. Actively engage both team members and guests to assess execution of Living Spaces Guest Engagement Model.
- Guest Engagement - Support Department Leads as they ensure that their teams are greeting and engaging guests and executing sales proficiency using Living Spaces Guest Engagement Model.
- Assessment - Able to identify current reality by completing accurate monthly assessments of people and processes for Sales according to the current monthly assessment rhythm.
- Performance Management - Able to change current reality through gap management and by creating business plans for:
- People - able to tell a story of the growth and development of Department Leads based on behaviors
- People - able to index talent and develop leadership skills of Department Leads
- Process - able to tell a story of how each Sales SOP inconsistency and/or opportunity has shown improvement
- Team Leadership - Able to build and lead the Department Leads to achieve goals and complete tasks. Able to bring energy to the Department Leads motivating them to greatness.
- Other Duties - Take on other duties as assigned by the GM, including such roles as Training Ambassador, Hiring Ambassador, etc.
- Partnerships - Able to build productive working relationships with:
- General Manager
- Operations Manager and Brand Manager
- Sales Managers of other stores
- Regional Director
- Retail Support Team and other Regional Support team members
- SOP - Adhere to all company standard operating policies and procedures.
- Complete other duties assigned at the discretion of management.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Five years of retail experience in a direct customer interactive environment required; "Big Box" experience preferred.
- Three years of supervisory experience required.
- Design degree preferred.
Living Spaces Retail Values
We expect all retail employees to understand and live the following values while on the job. We believe these are critical in creating an environment and culture where a team of world class leaders, regardless of title or position, create the best possible employee, customer, and financial outcomes for Living Spaces Furniture.
- Show integrity, objectivity, and adaptability
- Do things for people, not to people
- Work in unity to deliver greatness while building for the future
- Lead in service to others
The annual review will be accompanied by a discussion of how results are supported by SOP, Talent, and Leadership. A list of the annual review criteria is provided at the time of hire and is available at any time on request.
- Demonstrates key Talent behaviors (Capacity, Commitment, Coachability, Self-Assess, Collaborate, and Self-Initiate).
- Demonstrates key Leadership skills, starting with the ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees.
- Demonstrates key Training skills, starting with the ability to coach and provide effective feedback.
- Demonstrates effective selling skills.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced retail environment and adapt to the changing needs of the business.
- Ability to work flexible retail hours including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Basic knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Peripheral vision, Distance vision, and Ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; climb or balance and stop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. To perform the Sales Manager job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Meet Some of Living Spaces's Employees
Jennifer trains the Living Spaces general managers across locations. She helps build leadership skills and team talent to ensure excellent sales and service in each store.
Back to top