Site Reliability Engineer
Because we’re all about live, our service experiences demand spikes of several orders of magnitude, requires managing petabytes of storage and gigabits/s of transit. You will be in the thick of solving the challenges of systems at scale in a way most engineers never experience.
As a systems engineer working on the Livestream platform, your mission will be to ensure that our platform and infrastructure are always available, scalable, fast and engineered to withstand the unpredictable demands of live streaming.
You will design and develop the systems that run the Livestream platform products, and build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and work with just about every other engineering team at Livestream. You will be looked upon as an expert and advocate to fellow engineers on making design and reliability trade-offs in running large-scale services and engineering complex systems that fail gracefully and transparently to users.
A successful candidate for this role will have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, deep understanding of Linux kernel and IPv4 networking, fluency in system programming, strong communication skills, insatiable intellectual curiosity, and a desire to tackle the complex problems related to real-time streaming.
- Manage the availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of the Livestream platform, ensuring the platform has 100% uptime
- Participate in capacity planning and forecasting, system performance analysis, and system tuning at application, database, filesystem and networking layers
- Solve tasks in a generic way that can be automated (so no task is ever done by hand twice)
- Ability to handle on-call and out-of-band requests
- Manage backups and disaster recovery, including backup monitoring and verification, and leading restoration tests and disaster recovery drills
- Analyze and improve system security policies on all layers of the platform; track and handle vulnerabilities affecting it
- Help manage physical datacenter infrastructure, networking and operations
- Build, manage and maintain all the base OS images and system configurations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience
- Fluency in at least one of the following languages: C, C++, Perl, Python, Ruby
- Ability to write scripts using shell, awk, sed and other core Linux tools
- Knowledge of essential Linux system calls, signals and memory management
- Experience in low-level system debugging and performance measurement tools
- Expert knowledge of IPv4 networking and routing protocols
- Experience with automation and working with monitoring tools including cloud monitoring tools
- Knowledge of SQL & NoSQL technologies
Considered a plus
- Experience in managing cloud infrastructure, virtualization, linux container technologies
- Understanding of video streaming protocols
- Expert knowledge of Linux kernel and Linux implementation of network stack
- Experience in building and managing large storage clusters
Livestream is the #1 platform for broadcasting your event live and reaching your viewers on various devices be it on the web, mobile or connected TVs. With a trusted premium customer base of 10,000+ and more than 5 million registered users, Livestream powers over four million events each year. Our customers include The New York Times, Facebook, ESPN, SpaceX, Warner Bros. Microsoft, Intuit, Records each month. Founded in 2007, Livestream is headquartered in New York with offices in Los Angeles, London, Ukraine and India. Our passionate team is now globally over 180+ dedicated to Livestream's mission.
Meet Some of Livestream's Employees
Technical Support Manager
Edmund oversees Livestream's entire Customer Support Team. The team works together to manage all of the company's phone and email support tickets—and Edmund ensures that each customer's questions and concerns are addressed.
Back to top