Director of Engineering
- Philadelphia, PA
The Director of Engineering is a critical and high profile role essential for guiding the teams directly responsible for providing value to our customers and community by delivering the highest quality products.
Reporting directly to Linode's CEO, our Director of Engineering is a proven leader with the ability to engage, coach, and motivate engineering talent and link business strategy to execution by managing deliverables, resource planning, and process improvement. We expect this role to contribute to, and work alongside our CEO in both the tactical architectural decisions as well as longer-term strategic product and resource planning. You will be measured upon product delivery and stability ensuring product design is superb, choice of technologies is appropriate for products to perform at scale, and code is well-written, but equally important, the engagement and happiness of those who work in your organization.
You will be one of the key stakeholders for engineering in product roadmap planning, strategy development, product conceptualization, and cross-departmental alignment. You will be the cornerstone of engineering decisions within the larger company strategy. Because of the nature of this role and style at Linode, we are seeking a strategic thinker who can run a large scale function, but comes from a technical background and can help guide product architecture decisions.
- Drive the company's technical advancement via leading a software engineering , DevOps, and UI/UX organization
- Provide leadership to managers and peer-level department heads in a fashion that supports the company's culture, mission, and values
- Foster an environment of empowerment and learning by providing mentorship and coaching technical staff
- Direct, review, or approve product design or architecture changes
- Align with leadership, project managers, or other staff to prioritize and discuss project specifications, contribute to architectural decisions, and define execution plans
- Assess product viability by analyzing technology, resource needs, and market demand
- Direct resource planning, recruitment, placement, and ongoing performance management of engineering project staff
- Develop or implement policies, standards, or procedures for engineering and technical work
Nice to Haves
- Experienced leading large-scale multi-disciplined technical teams
- Experience in, or strong familiarity with the Cloud Computing industry
- Strong understanding of Linux, virtualization, and networking concepts
- Understanding and familiarity with the fundamentals of scripting languages; Bash, Python, Perl, etc.
- Drives good design practice and discipline in product development throughout the entire software development lifecycle
- Extensive leadership and strategic experience in a related field
Work With Us
- Flexible work hours: We have flexible start times and a very generous paid time off package!
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide free comprehensive health/dental insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit-sharing program, and pension plans!
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etcetera
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we'll pick up the tab!
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We'll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning across North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers-from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises-trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top.
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person who we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Back to top