Instructor - Full Stack Development (Full Time)
Are you the person for us? How could you be? We are looking for the rarest of combinations:
- Strong Web Developer but addicted to mentorship
- Loves teaching, but doesn’t want to give up developing
- Believes in learning by doing, even if you may have been classically trained
- Loves people as much as code and code as much as people
- Wants to try their hand in rapidly iterating a curriculum to better suit the 20 people in front of you that are all looking at you skeptically because you claim to be able to teach them so much in so little time that they will actually be employable.
Lighthouse Labs is an intense 8-week bootcamp that turns beginners into professional developers. What we are seeking is people who think education can be done better. Our belief is simple: most of what you learn as a developer is on the job. Code is a craft and the best way to work on your craft is to study under people who treat the practice of code like Hattori Hanzō treats the making of swords.
We believe in outcome driven education, that is built through a curriculum that is treated like a product i.e. constantly being tested, challenged, improved, and is contributed to by a community of developers who equally care about how to best train the next generation of developers. Our curriculum is built to accommodate different levels at once, using a hands on method, tons of 1 on 1 mentorship and by hiring amazing teacher/developers who want nothing more than to get the best out of ambitious, passionate & driven people. Mentoring takes place on site at our downtown Gastown location.
Teachers are responsible for handling any and all questions that come up. This includes pair programming and debugging issues with students, which in most cases is more valuable for the students than giving them an answer. Also, code reviewing to help students refactor their code and giving instruction (“lecture”) every morning at 9am for an hour.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in software development, with all or most of that time focused in web development
- Have built production-level apps or projects with at least three of the following: AngularJS, Ember, jQuery, Rails, Django, NodeJS + (Express or Koa), MeteorJS, Elixir + Phoenix, Scala
- Full-stack knowledge, despite being focused or specialized on either side of HTTP
- Strong preference for nix operating systems
- Can be self-taught or have a formal degree / diploma
- Have deployed your own web application without leveraging a PaaS
- Have worked in a development team using common workflows (eg: Github workflow)
- Have mentored junior developers in a professional or personal capacity
Nice to Have:
- Teaching Experience
- Public speaking experience (giving talks at meetups, conferences, etc.)
- Experience with or strong understanding of how to create scalable web applications, not just startup MVPs
- Contributing and driving forward numerous open source as well as private internal software projects being built with Ruby on rails and or JS
- As huge believers and subscribers of open source, we encourage you to work on OSS projects, whether you want to contribute to any existing project or have your own idea
- We heavily encourage speaking and attending conferences globally, and have an annual budget devoted to it.
Back to top