Lead Developer (Full-stack - React, Ruby on Rails) - LifeWeb 360
- Flexible / Remote
About LifeWeb 360
LifeWeb 360's north star is to awaken our empathetic world. We help people through one of the hardest times of their life - when a loved one is at the end of their life or has died. LifeWeb is a digital space where communities can share memories of a loved one and celebrate their life. Friends and family can share stories, photos, and videos that are organized to create context and meaning, and don't remind you that your person died, they remind you how they lived. Each of us touches so many people during our life; LifeWeb harnesses the outpouring of love that happens when someone passes to capture their essence in an authentic way, honor them, and give comfort to their family that they were seen in this world. See an example LifeWeb here (lifeweb360.com).
We are a remote-first, women-led company and have been growing as communities are unable to come together physically to mourn a loved one. We've been getting press for the work we're doing, including in Chicago Inno, the New York Times, USA Today, HuffPost, SF Chronicle, and US News & World Report, and recently received a $50k investment from Google for Startups to round out our friends and family round. And, we were just featured on Chicago Inno's list of 21 startups to watch in 2021.
We are seeking an adaptable, scrappy, and entrepreneurial developer to join our small and passionate team. You're a self-starter with a sense of humor (we have way more fun than you'd think for a company focused on death!). You are motivated to use technology to enhance a fundamental human experience that quite literally everyone will experience at some point in their life - losing a loved one. And, you can translate this massive vision into the steps it will take to get us there. Join us in our mission to awaken our empathetic world!
What you'll do:
- Build out and optimize our back-end systems for performance, reliability, and modularity
- Develop front-end, engaging and easy to use web app experiences
- Own the LifeWeb 360 tech stack and informational architecture
- Ensure LifeWeb practices continuous integration and deployment practices for assuring speed-to-ship without sacrificing the best customer experiences with our product as possible
- Explores, recommends and implements new tools, frameworks, platforms or languages that improve the product experience and product development process
- Every day, you'll review 2x more PRs than you open
- Every sprint, you'll design and incrementally deliver meaningful, complex features
- Every month, you'll resolve a couple performance and scaling bottlenecks, balancing feature development with long-term tech investments to keep the platform healthy and nimble
- Every quarter, you'll help define the objectives and key results that will shape your team's roadmap
Our current tech stack:
- Languages & Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, React
- Content Moderation (Image and Text recognition): AWS Rekognition & Comprehend
- Data server: AWS
What you have:
- Customer-obsession and you can demonstrate how your work has been influenced by customer insights; you prioritize the needs of our users
- Delivery: Ability to break big projects into small, testable pieces to consistently hit business-meaningful milestones
- Domain Expertise: Fluency in both Ruby on Rails as well as service-oriented and modularized architecture patterns
- Problem Solving: Business intuition that informs right-sized solutions, thoughtful trade-offs, and game-changing innovation
- Communication: Clear, inclusive communication with both teammates and non-technical partners
- Experience and evidence from working on fast-paced, highly iterative projects in an agile environment, side by side with designers
- Pragmatic approach while still delivering quality and maintainable code
- Team player looking to collaborate and contribute to shipping great projects
- Experience working in an early stage startup or creating something from scratch and launching it into the world
- Familiarity with natural language processing
Ali & Rachele co-founded the company 2 years ago. Ali is a former management consultant and Googler, and Rachele is a former architect (of real buildings!). Our Head of Product, Tanya, can only be described as a product badass, and brings 13 years of product expertise across technology companies of all sizes, including her own startup.
We've been growing on a web app we built in partnership with a Chicago-based dev shop, and are now bringing design and development in-house to enable faster iteration and tighter connection between product, design, and development.
We have a fantastic team as well as world-class advisors who love getting in the weeds with us to help us level up individually and as a company. From jobs-to-be-done to narrative storytelling, our advisors are literally the experts in the field.
We're a small but scrappy team having a big impact in people's lives, and having a lot of fun in the process. You'll report directly to the founders and learn a LOT about running and growing a startup. Join us! Learn more about our team here (www.lifeweb360.com/about-us).
What we offer
- The opportunity to immediately improve a fundamental human experience of losing a loved one and supporting a friend in grief
- A diverse, high-functioning, and growing team that is driven by a mission to redefine what empathetic technology can mean
- As much ownership over your work as you can handle with lots of room for growth
- 💲 Competitive compensation (salary + stock options) and benefits relative to other early-stage startups, including health benefits
- Work from wherever you'd like and know the rest of the team is too - we are a remote-first company; preference for 4+ working hours overlap with central time
Love what we do but this role isn't a fit?
That's OK! Fill out this short form here (www.lifeweb360.com/hiring), tell us more about you and how you'd like to get involved with LifeWeb. We'll reach out if we have an open role in the future that might be a fit!
Our interview process
Our interview process consists of several steps:
- Please complete this application (i.e. submit your resume)
- We'll email you a short prompt to complete
- Skills test
- Video interviews with our team
- Calls with 2 people that can speak to how you work
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We succeed because of our differences. We are a diverse team - small but mighty, weird and quirky, laughter-loving, and we can't wait to meet you!
Back to top