Staff Software Engineer, Backend - Remote
- San Francisco, CA
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for its leading solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently launched the first-ever family safety membership with comprehensive services designed for every family milestone and life stage. Life360 is used by nearly 1 in 10 US families (who use Life360 an average of 10 times a day!) and reached #1 in Apple's US App Store's list of free social networking apps. Unrivaled growth in the family tech space has positioned Life360 as the largest mobile service for families in the world with over 25 million active users in over 140 countries as of September 2020.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings across our free and paid plans: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offerings include both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 200+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
About the Job
- As a Backend Engineer on the Cloud team you will help build new scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- You are comfortable maneuvering legacy code bases and enjoy turning them into new state of the art technology, as we are breaking down a PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices on AWS.
- Our cloud team ensures that our API's are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to our diverse codebase.
- You use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
As a member of our Staff engineering group, you
- are a functional specialist that makes impact through either your technical depth or your ability to lead a group of engineers
- are the go-to expert for your function
- have the ability to create and execute quarterly technical goals, lead and vanguard our most complicated features, and mentor and advance the skills of lower-level engineers.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- Proficient in JVM languages. This team uses primarily Java (Spring Boot) and Scala (Akka, Lagom); deep knowledge of either is required, of both is great
- Familiarity with PHP, Python, or Go since some of our systems are built using these.
- Excellent understanding of data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls.
- 4+ year experience with microservices
- Experience with the AWS environment and its various tools
ABOUT OUR CULTURE AND BENEFITS
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Flexible PTO and 12 company wide days off throughout the year
- Learning & Development programs
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We provide equipment, tools & reimbursement support to engage a productive remote-first team
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your family circle
All open positions, unless specified as location specific, are remote opportunities and, when returning to our offices is possible, team members may elect to take advantage of the following (or continue to choose to remain remote!):
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco; a 5 minute walk to CalTrain & BART
- An amazing office location within walking distance to the beach in San Diego (Encinitas)
- In person team building activities, celebratory company outings and fun events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Back to top