Staff Site Reliability Engineer - Remote
- San Francisco, CA
About Life 360
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for first-to-market solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently reached #1 in Apple’s US App Store’s list of free social networking apps. Nearly 1 in 10 US families with kids use Life360 an average of 12 times a day, and global membership is growing exponentially, with over 28 million active users in over 140 countries as of March 31, 2020 — making Life360 the largest mobile service for families in the world.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offering both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 150+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
About our culture and benefits
Life360 has embraced a work from home (WFH) philosophy for at least the duration of the COVID-19 crisis, along with most of our peers. During this WFH period, the organization remains connected and engaged with virtual team events, weekly all hands meetings and regular open zoom sessions with leadership. While we believe that the work world has likely permanently changed, we have yet to make any decisions about our long-term split between WFH and being in the office
We always offer:
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) plan
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- Flexible PTO
- Free Life360 platinum membership for your family circle
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We buy you the things you need to improve yourself and get your job done.
All open positions are remote opportunities and when the time comes to return to our offices, we offer the following:
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco; a 5 minute walk to CalTrain
- An amazing office location within walking distance to the beach in Encinitas
- In person team building activities, celebratory company outings and fun events
About the Role:
- As a Staff SRE on the Cloud team you will help build and operate scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- Our cloud team ensures that our API's are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to the design and operation of the core services.
- You use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
- Engage with product and engineering teams to design, build and maintain the system / software for high availability and resiliency.
- Write software layers, scripts, deployment frameworks, tracers, monitors, self-healing/auto remediation tools to automate the processes.
- Build and maintain software modules for use and reuse in cloud systems automation.
- Troubleshooting and root-cause analysis of issues regardless of tool, provider, platform, or language.
- Mentor other engineers on operational best practices for architecture, implementation, and operation of large scale cloud systems.
- Participate in shared on-call rotation.
- Estimate schedules, breaking tasks down to reasonable 1-3 day tasks.
- Computer Science BS or equivalent discipline, with at least 15 years’ experience (or equivalent experience) in Operations and Software Engineering, or 12 years in one with exposure to the other.
- Programming experience with one or more relevant languages: Java, Python, PHP, Scala, etc.
- Experience with automation/configuration management using either Chef, Terraform, or an equivalent.
- Proficient in multi-threaded design and implementation.
- Troubleshooting and system engineering exposure in UNIX/Linux production environments.
- Developing, running, and/or consuming cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, Docker/Kubernetes, etc.
- Experience with existing open source projects such as Consul, Kafka, Cassandra, Docker.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply complex subjects and technologies.
- Experience desired with Big Data, streaming technologies, SaaS based environments, Web Analytics
- Must be detail-oriented and demonstrate initiative and high self-motivation. Enthusiastic, creative and positive attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Excellent English verbal and written communication skills. Highly collaborative working style.
Back to top