Staff Site Reliability Engineer - Remote
- San Francisco, CA
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for its leading solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently launched the first-ever family safety membership with comprehensive services designed for every family milestone and life stage. Life360 is used by nearly 1 in 10 US families (who use Life360 an average of 10 times a day!) and reached #1 in Apple's US App Store's list of free social networking apps. Unrivaled growth in the family tech space has positioned Life360 as the largest mobile service for families in the world with over 25 million active users in over 140 countries as of September 2020.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings across our free and paid plans: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offerings include both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 200+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
About the Role:
- As a Staff SRE on the Cloud team you will help build and operate scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- Our cloud team ensures that our API's are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to the design and operation of the core services.
- You use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
- Engage with product and engineering teams to design, build and maintain the system / software for high availability and resiliency.
- Write software layers, scripts, deployment frameworks, tracers, monitors, self-healing/auto remediation tools to automate the processes.
- Build and maintain software modules for use and reuse in cloud systems automation.
- Troubleshooting and root-cause analysis of issues regardless of tool, provider, platform, or language.
- Mentor other engineers on operational best practices for architecture, implementation, and operation of large scale cloud systems.
- Participate in shared on-call rotation.
- Estimate schedules, breaking tasks down to reasonable 1-3 day tasks.
- Computer Science BS or equivalent discipline, with at least 15 years’ experience (or equivalent experience) in Operations and Software Engineering, or 12 years in one with exposure to the other.
- Programming experience with one or more relevant languages: Java, Python, PHP, Scala, etc.
- Experience with automation/configuration management using either Chef, Terraform, or an equivalent.
- Proficient in multi-threaded design and implementation.
- Troubleshooting and system engineering exposure in UNIX/Linux production environments.
- Developing, running, and/or consuming cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, Docker/Kubernetes, etc.
- Experience with existing open source projects such as Consul, Kafka, Cassandra, Docker.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply complex subjects and technologies.
- Experience desired with Big Data, streaming technologies, SaaS based environments, Web Analytics
- Must be detail-oriented and demonstrate initiative and high self-motivation. Enthusiastic, creative and positive attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Excellent English verbal and written communication skills. Highly collaborative working style.
ABOUT OUR CULTURE AND BENEFITS
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Flexible PTO and 12 company wide days off throughout the year
- Learning & Development programs
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We provide equipment, tools & reimbursement support to engage a productive remote-first team
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your family circle
All open positions, unless specified as location specific, are remote opportunities and, when returning to our offices is possible, team members may elect to take advantage of the following (or continue to choose to remain remote!):
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco; a 5 minute walk to CalTrain & BART
- An amazing office location within walking distance to the beach in San Diego (Encinitas)
- In person team building activities, celebratory company outings and fun events
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Back to top