Software Engineer 2, Cloud Services
- Carlsbad, CA
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for first-to-market solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently reached #1 in Apple’s US App Store’s list of free social networking apps. Nearly 1 in 10 US families with kids use Life360 an average of 12 times a day, and global membership is growing exponentially, with over 28 million active users in over 140 countries as of March 31, 2020 — making Life360 the largest mobile service for families in the world.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offering both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 150+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
About the Job:
The Cloud Engineering team is responsible for storing and processing, among other things, our massive amounts of location and driving updates. Our distributed, microservices-based environment handles billions of API calls daily, often with downstream effects which are surfaced to our users in real time, providing peace of mind and real-time emergency response to tens of millions of families.
We at Life360 have nearly doubled our user base each year for the last few years and we are focused on continuing to feed this growth for the foreseeable future. As we grow, we continue to meet the difficult challenges of increased data management and API traffic. Among the projects we are taking on in the near-to-mid future are building an event stream to upgrade our first-in-class location storage engine, splitting apart our PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices, and updating our persistence layer to meet the growing demands of storage.
The goal of the Cloud Services team is to identify potential bottlenecks which will prevent us from scaling 10x and develop solutions to these bottlenecks. A successful candidate will contribute code directly to this effort, working with the other Cloud engineers on their team to design and write implementations of stories. They will help push the story through the various stages of development, testing, release, and ongoing maintenance.
We are looking for someone who has some experience with shipping code to production and is excited about learning how to maintain a system which handles billions of daily API calls.
These are some typical responsibilities:
- Work with engineering and project managers to define story requirements
- Use JIRA to define and track status of stories
- Development of story tasks, collaborating with other cloud team members
- Development of a test plan and execution of appropriate tests, including unit and automation tests
- Ensure appropriate metrics, monitoring, and logging are in place
- Work with devops engineers to ship features to development and production using Kubernetes
- Build dashboards and alerts for ongoing monitoring of features and services
We are looking for candidates with a diverse background that will complement the skills and backgrounds of the current team. If you don’t fit all the criteria below please apply anyway as this list is more of a preference rather than a rule. Our priority is for a well rounded team that delivers results.
- Four years of professional experience
- Knowledge of software development in Java, especially with the Spring Boot framework
- Familiar with database operations and usage (we use primarily MySQL, Cassandra, and DynamoDB)
If you have any of these, consider it a bonus
- Experience in another programming language a plus (our systems mainly use Python, Java, and PHP)
- Familiar with Source Control Management (we use Git)
- Experience with AWS services (e.g. Kinesis)
- Comfortable using Linux, shell scripting, etc.
- Experience with message queues, event buses, domain-driven design, etc.
- Fridays are Work From Home days at Life360
- Competitive pay with generous equity
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- Free snacks, drinks, and food in the office
- Catered lunches throughout the week
- The computer of your choice
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k and various other benefits
- A great dog-friendly office with plenty of light in the heart of the SoMa San Francisco, or by the sea in San Diego
Back to top