Senior Software Engineer, iOS - Remote
- San Francisco, CA
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for its leading solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently launched the first-ever family safety membership with comprehensive services designed for every family milestone and life stage. Life360 is used by nearly 1 in 10 US families (who use Life360 an average of 10 times a day!) and reached #1 in Apple's US App Store's list of free social networking apps. Unrivaled growth in the family tech space has positioned Life360 as the largest mobile service for families in the world with over 25 million active users in over 140 countries as of September 2020.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings across our free and paid plans: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offerings include both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 200+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
About the Role:
This role is for a senior iOS engineer on the core systems team. This person will be an integral part of the core of our app as they will be required to become experts in the background services and core tools leveraged in the app. They will also likely be a key contributor to the next generation of our event and location streaming. The role will require a certain type of developer to excel here. This role requires tenacity to continue to push what is the status quo in all areas of the background location service. In many cases, the solutions to the problem we are solving will be uncharted territories. Ingenuity, problem-solving and deep dive debugging skills will be key to the success of this role.
As mentioned in the role portion, this role is not for everyone even those with strong skills in other areas of iOS programming. Even if they are missing specific experience in location and background processing, networking, and persistence in iOS we can focus on some key skills that will allow a developer to build skills in this area. Below are some of the key and beneficial additional skills to be looked for while interviewing:
- Strong debugging
- Many problems in sensors team require understanding hard to pinpoint and non-reproducible problems
- We will be solving problems that do not have clear solutions, no help from Stack Overflow here
- Architecture mindset
- Will be spending equally as much time designing and prototyping as writing production code
- Strong understanding of the iOS ecosystem
- Adaptable and able to pick up new concepts
- Even someone with deep knowledge of writing location services on iOS will need to understand the internal tech in location engine and adapt as the OS does
- Drive to level up
- Strong communication
- Will communicate with multiple teams including both systems and product teams
- At times may need to communicate with external partners such as Arity
- Familiarity with location and other sensors
- Familiarity with background running tasks/services on iOS
- Familiarity with Network and Persitance technologies
- Familiarity with reactive programming and RxSwift
- Understanding of developing SDK’s and tools leveraged by a variety of engineers
ABOUT OUR CULTURE AND BENEFITS
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Flexible PTO and 12 company wide days off throughout the year
- Learning & Development programs
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We provide equipment, tools & reimbursement support to engage a productive remote-first team
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your family circle
All open positions, unless specified as location specific, are remote opportunities and, when returning to our offices is possible, team members may elect to take advantage of the following (or continue to choose to remain remote!):
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco; a 5 minute walk to CalTrain & BART
- An amazing office location within walking distance to the beach in San Diego (Encinitas)
- In person team building activities, celebratory company outings and fun events
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Back to top