Senior Software Engineer, Backend
- San Francisco, CA
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for first-to-market solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently reached #1 in Apple’s US App Store’s list of free social networking apps. Nearly 1 in 10 US families with kids use Life360 an average of 12 times a day, and global membership is growing exponentially, with over 28 million active users in over 140 countries as of March 31, 2020 — making Life360 the largest mobile service for families in the world.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offering both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 150+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
About the Job:
The Cloud Engineering team is responsible for storing and processing, among other things, our massive amounts of location and driving updates. Our distributed, microservices-based environment handles billions of API calls daily, often with downstream effects which are surfaced to our users in real time, providing peace of mind and real-time emergency response to tens of millions of families.
We at Life360 have nearly doubled our user base each year for the last few years and we are focused on continuing to feed this growth for the foreseeable future. As we grow, we continue to meet the difficult challenges of increased data management and API traffic. Among the projects we are taking on in the near-to-mid future are building an event stream to upgrade our first-in-class location storage engine, splitting apart our PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices, and updating our persistence layer to meet the growing demands of storage.
The goal of the Cloud Services team is to identify potential bottlenecks which will prevent us from scaling 10x and develop solutions to these bottlenecks. A successful candidate will be able to drive this effort, working with Cloud Staff engineers along with Devops and Mobile Client engineers to design effective solutions. They will also work with their implementation team, mentoring more junior developers, and defining a higher level of excellence through modeling, demonstrating, and helping shape effective practices.
We are looking for someone who has a history of leading teams of two or more engineers through all stages of feature development; from requirements gathering and design, through development and debugging, and continuing with test development, release, and ongoing maintenance and support.
These are some typical responsibilities:
- Work with stakeholders to add definition to project requirements
- Assess scope and build recommendations for Minimum Viable Product
- Work closely with devops, staff, and mobile engineers to design the APIs, data stores, code/services structures, and communications protocols
- Work with engineering and project managers to define project timelines
- Use JIRA to define and track status of epics and stories
- Development of projects, collaborating with other cloud team members and mentoring/modeling for more junior team members
- Development of a test plan and execution of appropriate tests, including unit and automation tests
- Ensure appropriate metrics, monitoring, and logging are in place
- Work with devops engineers to ship features to development and production using Kubernetes
- Build dashboards and alerts for ongoing monitoring of features and services
- Participate in on-call rotations, bug fixing, and on-going tuning and improvements
We are looking for candidates with a diverse background that will complement the skills and backgrounds of the current team. If you don’t fit all the criteria below please apply anyway as this list is more of a preference rather than a rule. Our priority is for a well rounded team that delivers results.
- Six years of professional experience
- Strong knowledge of microservice development in Java, especially with the Spring Boot framework
- Rich experience in another programming language a plus (our systems mainly use Python, Java, and PHP)
- Data modeling and working with persistence (we use primarily MySQL, Cassandra, and DynamoDB)
- Comfortable using Git
- Skilled in development of highly distributed systems using interservice messaging, especially around the problems which can occur
- Deployed systems using kubernetes
- Experience with AWS services and resource allocation, especially using Terraform
- Comfortable using Linux, shell scripting, etc.
- Fridays are Work From Home days at Life360
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Free snacks, drinks and food in the office
- Catered lunches throughout the week
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans
- 401k plan
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We buy you the things you need to improve yourself and get your job done
Back to top