Data Architect, Staff
- San Francisco, CA
Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for first-to-market solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently reached #1 in Apple’s US App Store’s list of free social networking apps. Nearly 1 in 10 US families with kids use Life360 an average of 12 times a day, and global membership is growing exponentially, with over 28 million active users in over 140 countries as of March 31, 2020 — making Life360 the largest mobile service for families in the world.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offering both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 150+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
About the Role:
With over 6 Billion data events a day from various sources we’re looking for a dynamic individual to take up the challenge of helping architect the firm's big data architecture to scale and apply the relevant systems and patterns for both current and future needs. The individual will be responsible for all aspects of data acquisition, data transformation, analytics capabilities to drive high-visibility, cross-product outcomes. The Data Architect will define and lead the big data and information architecture needs for Life360, being the trusted partner to deliver data driven solutions that enable operational efficiency and improve product experiences for both internal and external customers. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative team player and feel comfortable jumping in to be hands on when needed.
Data Design and System Architecture - 65% of time
- Design and architect for distributed, scalable, and reliable data pipelines that ingest and process data at scale and in real-time.
- Design and deliver a portfolio of product and analytic data sets from the definition phase through to production deployment.
- Architect solutions for the design and implementation of Big Data Infrastructure.
- Create data environments and data sets to serve a wide range of data users, including but not limited to Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Business Analysts and 3rd party data partners.
- Perform offline analysis of large data sets using components of a big data software ecosystem.
- Evaluate and create point of view on big data technologies and prototype solutions to improve data processing architecture.
- Lead efforts to determine root cause of complex data provenance, metadata issues and engineering questions that may involve interfacing with various technical staff in multiple teams and with differing levels of expertise.
- Lead the process to Investigate, evaluate, test and recommend technical solutions for future systems.
- Define information models supporting product assets of complex data structures represented in various data management systems such as graph, relational and hierarchical.
- Define and manage and master data management strategy for cloud-based data sets.
- Actively contribute and advocate data vision and strategy to push innovation into the organization.
- Be a player / coach with hands on project work and coding when needed.
Technical Advisor - 35% of time
- Guide other teams to design, develop, and deploy data sets and tools that support product use cases.
- Guide and support data compliance that meets global data governance requirements.
- Manage portfolio of product data set backlog and support prioritization to ensure alignment with MDM.
- Required experience with programming languages – Python, Scala, Ruby, R
- Required database technologies - SQL, performance tuning concepts, AWS RDS, RedShift
- Experience with big data batch processing tools: Hadoop MapReduce, ElasticSearch, PIG, Hive,
- Cascading/Scalding, Apache Spark, AWS EMR
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Kinesis, Kafka, MQTT
- Experience with relational NoSQL databases including Dyanamo DB
- Ability to write JSON, XML, YAML and other data definition schemas
- Knowledge of database concepts, object and data modeling techniques and design principles
- Successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected data sets in commercial implementation
- Experience with explanation of approaches and able to communicate effectively to both internal team members and external stakeholders
- Historical experience as a trusted partner role delivering high quality products or services.
Education / Experience Requirements
- 10 years of professional experience as a data engineer, big data architect, or senior data product role.
- 4 years of experience with cloud and Big Data computing design, provisioning, and tuning.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Nice to have - Master’s degree in data science, information management
- Fridays are Work From Home days at Life360
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Free snacks, drinks and food in the office
- Catered lunches throughout the week
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans
- 401k plan
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We buy you the things you need to improve yourself and get your job done.
This position is located in San Francisco, CA. It is not a remote role.
Back to top