VP, Property Division Underwriting Manager - West
Launch your Underwriting career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company!
As a Division Underwriting Manager, you will plan, control, organize and direct the commercial property/casualty underwriting operations for a larger division. Execute the segment (National Account Casualty, Middle Market) strategy to attain profit, quality, growth, multi-line diversification, and operational objectives. Collaborate with Distribution, Product Management and other functions. Manage the workforce to build highly effective managers and career underwriters with strong multi-line expertise, confidence of judgment, and deal orientation.
- Execute the segment strategy for a division to attain profit, quality, growth, multi-line diversification, and operational objectives; monitor execution against the appetite and correct situations where objectives are not being met
- Ensure underwriting managers focus efforts on sources of profitable growth, category execution, multi-line accounts and building expertise.
- Ensure that submissions are triaged and prioritized and skill-based routing practices enable the right underwriters to work the submissions in the right order.
- Analyze proposals prepared by underwriters and use letters of authority to provide approval for risk selection and acceptance, coverage, and price.
- Implement and maintain skill-based authority levels by line through underwriter certification.
- Collaborate with other functions and support initiatives in the areas of product development, operations, process, technology, distribution and claims management.
- Lead the division's selection, development, and management of underwriters needed to diversify the book and grow profitably; ensure that expertise is fostered through development, coaching and mentoring mechanisms.
- Maintain a quality assurance process that identifies and corrects gaps in decision making.
Technical skills: Advanced knowledge of commercial property and casualty, including competitive conditions; insurance operations; finance and actuarial concepts; regulatory environment; reinsurance; account management; underwriting; loss control; producer management; and industry trends. Professional/General Business skills: Managerial courage; ability to set direction, create alignment and inspire/motivate; creativity/entrepreneurial skills; work cross-functionally by engaging and motivating people; negotiation; influencing others; communicating effectively (listening, verbal, written, etc.); adapt, learn quickly, and respond effectively to varied and intense challenges. As normally acquired through an advanced degree or equivalent training, 12 or more years of relevant experience, several of which should be in an operations management capacity.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-California-Los Angeles
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Meet Some of Liberty Mutual's Employees
Director, Customer Experience
Omari heads employee recognition and experience efforts for Liberty Mutual’s U.S. consumer business, celebrating career achievements and driving engagement in the employee journey. He also advises leadership on new initiatives to bring the customer front and center for every employee.
Back to top