Underwriting Training Program - Global Risk Solutions - New York, NY (June 2019)
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company!
Our underwriters focus on answering two fundamental questions. Should we write a policy for a particular customer? What is a fair price for the risk that we would incur by writing the policy? On the surface, these questions may seem straightforward, but as an underwriter, you will possess a curiosity that propels you to dig a little deeper for the answers.
You will rely on your strong analytic, communication, and negotiation skills and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Underwriters are natural problem solvers who want to know our customers and how we can profitably accept the risks that our policies cover.
Our Underwriting training positions offers you the chance to build on your academic success and develop risk selection and decision making skills that can advance your career.
- Successfully complete Underwriter training program and prescribed courses which include: On the Job Training, Classroom Instruction, Self-Study, Case Studies, Rating and Underwriting Activities
- Develop judgment to accept, reject or modify new and renewal business for all commercial lines, with guidance and direction as needed from experienced underwriters or team leader, to ensure a profitable commercial book of business.
- Price business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines and ensures standards for timeliness are met.
- Market the Company products to achieve company growth and profitability targets.
- Develop on-going relationships with internal and external customers and monitor profitability and quality of submissions, and keeps up-to-date with underwriting and/or product changes.
- Review and becomes familiar with: Policy coverages, Agency relationships, Underwriting and team guidelines, processes, and procedures, Company business strategy and organization
- Work with a Underwriting Manager, Underwriting staff, and in-house and outside educational providers to enhance knowledge and experience in: Underwriting Techniques and Decision Making Methods, Problem Solving Methods, Sales and Negotiating Skills
- Please note that as part of our application process for this position, you may be asked to fill out an employment questionnaire that may take up to 45 minutes to complete.
- 0-2 years of professional experience
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. Additional requirements may apply
- Analytical and decision making skills
- Capability to understand a wide variety of business operations and model loss potential
- Ability to calculate complex pricing recommendations
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated organization skills and ability
- Effective interpersonal skills including ability to negotiate successfully.
- Willingness to complete professional designation(s) and continued insurance education.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Back to top