Underwriting Internship - Global Retail Markets - San Diego (Summer 2019)
Test drive a career at a Fortune 100 insurance leader.
Do you ever take a step back and wonder how your education connects to the real world? In Liberty Mutual Insurance's internship program, you'll have the chance to find out.
You'll step inside our dynamic, innovative culture and apply your skills and knowledge to a variety of critical business assignments. Working side-by-side with our professionals inside the underwriting department, you'll put your business skills to the test, develop new insight, and gain the high-demand experience that sets your resume apart.
As a Liberty Mutual intern, you'll also have the opportunity to see if a career at our company is the right fit for you. Our team will support you with the tools, resources, as well as the educational and social programs you need to be successful. In addition, your supervisor, mentor, and recruiting team will be there to ensure you're getting the most out of your experience. And a community of interns will provide the camaraderie and support you need to transition smoothly from school to work.
As an Underwriting Intern, you'll:
- Develop the judgment needed to ensure a profitable commercial book of business, with experienced underwriters or team leader guiding your way
- Price business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines and ensure that standards for timeliness are met
- Develop on-going relationships with internal and external customers and monitor profitability and quality of submissions
- Stay up-to-date with underwriting and/or product changes
- Review and familiarize yourself with: policy coverages, agency relationships, underwriting and team guidelines, processes, and procedures, company business strategy and organization
- Analytical and decision-making skills, basic to intermediate level Microsoft Excel skills
- A passion for customer service
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to negotiate successfully
- Willingness to complete professional designation(s) and continued insurance education
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (additional requirements may apply)
- On track towards Bachelor's degree with graduation dates of December 2019 - June 2021
- Ability to work full time and commit to a 10-12 week summer internship
You are required to complete an assessment as part of the application process for this position. Once you review your candidate profile and click submit, a link to an assessment will be provided. After clicking the link, you will also receive a direct link by e-mail that will allow you to take the assessment later if you choose. Depending on the job, the assessment may take between 30 and 60 minutes and it must be completed to be considered for the position.
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Back to top