Underwriting Internship - Global Retail Markets - Indianapolis, IN
Test drive a career at a Fortune 100 insurance leader
Do you ever take a step back and wonder how your education connects to the real world? In Liberty Mutual Insurance's internship program, you'll have the chance to find out.
You'll step inside our dynamic, innovative culture and apply your skills and knowledge to a variety of critical business assignments. Working side-by-side with our professionals inside the underwriting department, you'll put your business skills to the test, develop new insight, and gain the high-demand experience that sets your resume apart.
As a Liberty Mutual intern, you'll also have the opportunity to see if a career at our company is the right fit for you. Our team will support you with the tools, resources, as well as the educational and social programs you need to be successful. In addition, your supervisor, mentor, and recruiting team will be there to ensure you're getting the most out of your experience. And a community of interns will provide the camaraderie and support you need to transition smoothly from school to work.
As an Underwriting Intern you'll:
- Develop judgment to accept, reject or modify new and renewal business for all commercial lines, with guidance and direction as needed from experienced underwriters or team leader, to ensure a profitable commercial book of business
- Price business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines and ensures standards for timeliness are met
- Develop on-going relationships with internal and external customers and monitor profitability and quality of submissions
- Review and familiarize yourself with: policy coverages, agency relationships, underwriting and team guidelines, processes, and procedures, company business strategy and organization
- Pursuing a Bachelor's degree (graduating in December 2019 or later)
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA; additional requirements may apply
- Analytical and decision-making skills, basic to intermediate level Microsoft Excel skills
- A passion for customer service
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to negotiate successfully
- Willingness to complete professional designation(s) and continued insurance education
- Ability to work full-time for a minimum of 10-12 weeks (June-August)
Take the first step:
Start the application process by completing your candidate profile and our required assessment. The assessment will take between 30 and 60 minutes to complete.
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-Indiana-Indianapolis
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Back to top