Senior Managing Actuary, Auto, GL and Umbrella Reserving - National Insurance Actuarial
Advance your actuarial career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company!
National Insurance (NI) Actuarial is looking for a Senior Managing Actuary to lead our Auto, GL and Umbrella reserving team. As a member of the NI Actuarial leadership team, you will help foster a culture of innovative problem solving through collaboration across NI, Global Risk Solutions (GRS), and corporate functions. As such, the successful candidate will possess strong analytical, organizational and communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to execute thoroughly in a collaborative environment.
Primary responsibilities include developing strategies for effectively managing the entire reserving process, leading the execution of quarterly reserving and developing Plan loss ratios. As a leader within National Insurance, you will communicate throughout NI and GRS to ensure a deep understanding of the Auto, GL and Umbrella profitability levels and associated trends.
This role will report to the Chief Actuary and will lead a team of direct and indirect actuarial staff. Prior reserving experience is preferred .
- Develop and disseminate vision, goals, and direction of Reserving throughout the NI organization
- Oversee and/or perform analyses to determine the total reserves for the business quarterly, reporting on trends and impacts of assumption and method changes.
- Clearly and effectively communicate reserve decisions to senior executives
- Determine and communicate sources of risk and potential impacts. Risks may stem from assumptions, methods, processes, data and other sources.
- Develop baseline loss ratios to support the planning process
- Oversee documentation of assumptions, methods and processes.
- Coordinate with Finance, GRS and corporate Actuarial departments to effectively manage the NI balance sheet for the Auto, GL and Umbrella lines of business
- Coordinate across the organization to develop data requirements for reserving analysis, tool development, and decision making
- Bachelor's degree required. Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS) designation required, or comparable actuarial education/designation combined with relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply the depth/breadth of actuarial skill and business acumen that often comes from at least 3-5 years of highly technical insurance and management experience since attaining fellowship in the CAS. Overall, 10 or more years of progressively more responsible experience, including leadership experience.
- Analytical skills with solid understanding of all actuarial techniques, standards, and assumptions.
- Expert knowledge of insurance operations and P&C insurance business.
- Ability to manage a mix of assignments that tend to be more strategic than tactical.
- Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate areas of senior management concern, integrate different perspectives, and respond accordingly.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization.
- Ability to give effective training and presentations to senior management and other groups.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, lead, and get work done through others; to select and develop talent across areas of responsibility; to exert influence among operating managers on matters of importance; and to influence senior managers on matters of significant importance.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Back to top