Senior Manager, Consulting - Corporate Strategy & Research
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company
Liberty Mutual Insurance, a Fortune 100 company, is a diversified international gro up of insurance companies with 45,000 employees in 900 offices worldwide.
Consulting Careers at Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Top-tier strategy consulting experience in a Fortune 100 Company
- Established, well-respected and recognized corporate strategy department
- Exposure to senior management and critical business initiatives
- Challenging, high impact work, with direct responsibility for your analysis
- Dynamic, motivated, and intellectually curious colleagues
- Established source of talent for SBUs, with opportunity to move into operational roles
- Compensation competitive with top-tier strategy consulting firms
- Limited travel, a great work-life balance, and a prime location in Boston's Back Bay
About the Team:
The Liberty Mutual Insurance Corporate Strategy & Research (CS&R) group is a 40+ person internal strategy consulting team that focuses on high impact strategic and operational business priorities of our CEO and executive team, including enterprise strategy and projects for senior SBU stakeholders.
Established in 1972, CS&R has an outstanding track-record of developing future leaders for Liberty Mutual. Our employees typically acquire significant positions in the company after a period of material contribution, and have gone on to positions that include business leadership roles across the organization.
As a Senior Manager, you will work with a small group of consultants on a project team, guided by an experienced consulting managing director, to advise Liberty Mutual's Senior Executives in making strategic decisions related to their respective business units. Projects are typically in the areas of strategy development, operational improvement, market entry or exit, market positioning and segmentation, post-merger integration, product / customer positioning and profitability, and capital investment decisions.
Responsibilities will be commensurate with your skills, abilities, and development needs. Each team member interfaces directly with the team lead as well as members of the client organization. All members of the team are involved in the analysis and development of reports and presentations for clients and other stakeholders.
Along with up-front and on-going training you will partner with an experienced consulting managing director who is there to help you with your development, provide feedback, and serve as a mentor. As you work on projects you will develop key thought-partner relationships with company managers and executives throughout the organization. These relationships will serve as platforms for strategic advice and your future career development.
- Understand strategic issues faced by client and the role of assigned project in addressing those issues
- Supervise and coordinate all work to balance responsibilities on multiple projects for senior management. Participate in the design of projects and analyses with managing consultants. Act as internal consultant
- Frame up-front work plans, design targeted research, identify data sources, and collect data from various internal and external sources (e.g. interviews, surveys). Proactively identify business issues outside of scope of current work
- Perform business analysis and evaluate the impact of alternative management decisions on company business and financial performance. Conduct complete, high quality, and error-free analysis of data
- Produce findings in various mediums. Create storylines for entire project deliverable. Fill in additional information or produce examples where necessary
- Communicate results and findings to senior management and audiences of varying size, level, and exposure to topic. May lead cross-functional, cross-departmental meetings to share information with other stakeholders in other areas of the business
- Own relationships with key stakeholders. Build relationships with owners and/or sources of data to help expand data access and a connected community across the enterprise
- Direct team and stakeholders towards consensus points & gain buy-in to concepts and methodologies
- Mentor less experienced team members. Utilize adept mentoring, coaching, and influencing skills to inspire others and resolve challenging relationship management situations, collaborating on approaches with manager
- Contribute to selecting future talent for the department by recruiting, interviewing, and training new consultants
The group is looking for smart, energetic, well-rounded self-starters who are team-players and possess a strong desire to learn. Successful candidates will have an interest in management consulting and a genuine interest in insurance and financial services.
Positions are based in the Boston, MA office. Some travel, including international, may be required. Candidates should, at minimum, possess the following:
- MBA with a demonstrated record of success or equivalent business and analytical background
- 4-7 years of work experience preferred, including pre-MBA experience. Top-tier strategy consulting experience highly preferred. Insurance or Financial Services industry experience preferred
- Strong critical thinking skills. Able to apply judgment during analysis about how components fit together and with bigger picture
- Strong ability to use experience and analysis to gain support and influence others
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and written and oral communication skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to work independently and as a member of a team, and coach junior team members
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to manage multiple projects or priorities
- Strong time management skills
- All candidates must apply to the job posting on the Liberty Mutual Careers website. Please submit a cover letter with your resume and application
- To move forward in the process, you must complete the online application and a pre-hire assessment
- Please note completing the assessment may take between 30-45 minutes
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Company Overview :
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Job: Strategy & Planning
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Master's Degree (±18 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Back to top