Senior Associate Consultant, Corporate Strategy & Research
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company
Liberty Mutual Insurance, a Fortune 100 company, is a diversified international group of insurance companies with 45,000 employees in 900 offices worldwide.
Consulting Careers at Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Top-tier strategy consulting experience in a Fortune 100 Company
- Established, well-respected and recognized corporate strategy department
- Exposure to senior management and critical business initiatives
- Challenging, high impact work, with direct responsibility for your analysis
- Dynamic, motivated, and intellectually curious colleagues
- Established source of talent for business units, with opportunity to move into operational roles
- Compensation competitive with top-tier strategy consulting firms
- Limited travel, a great work-life balance, and a prime location in Boston's Back Bay
- The actual internal level/grade for this role will depend on the candidate's overall experience and skill level.
About the Team:
The Liberty Mutual Insurance Corporate Strategy & Research (CS&R) group is a 40+ person internal strategy consulting team that focuses on high impact strategic and operational business priorities of our CEO and executive team, including enterprise strategy and projects for senior business stakeholders.
Established in 1972, CS&R has an outstanding track-record of developing future leaders for Liberty Mutual. Our employees typically acquire significant positions in the company after a period of material contribution, and have gone on to positions that include business leadership roles across the organization.
As a Senior Associate Consultant, you will work with a small group of consultants on a project team guided by an experienced consulting manager who will provide direction and support for the team. Projects are typically in the areas of strategy development, operational improvement, market entry or exit, market positioning and segmentation, post-merger integration, product / customer positioning and profitability, and capital investment decisions.
Responsibilities will be commensurate with your skills, abilities, and development needs. Each team member interfaces directly with the team lead as well as members of the client organization. All members of the team are involved in the analysis and development of reports and presentations for clients and other stakeholders.
Along with up-front and on-going training, you will partner with an experienced consulting manager focused on helping you with your development, providing feedback, and serving as a mentor. As you work on projects, you will develop key thought-partner relationships with company managers and executives throughout the organization. These relationships will serve as platforms for strategic advice and your future career development.
- Understand strategic issues faced by client and the role of assigned work stream in addressing those issues
- Plan and conduct all work to balance responsibilities on multiple projects or initiatives.
- Frame up-front work plans, design targeted research, identify data sources, collect data from various internal and external sources (e.g. interviews, surveys), and analyze data with various quantitative techniques, ensuring that all analysis is complete, high quality, and error-free
- Assist in using insights to build cohesive, compelling, and logical arguments to move senior management to action. Demonstrate business knowledge of Liberty's operations
- Produce findings in various mediums. Create storylines for portions of research. Use direction from managers about broader story to fill in additional information or produce examples where necessary
- Demonstrate resourcefulness in identifying and interpreting data sources, analysis tools, and techniques. Design data collection technique to yield high quality, reliable data
- Communicate research, analysis, and findings to Liberty Mutual Leadership with support of project manager. Provide clear and concise communication of work to various audiences
- Participate in cross-functional, cross-departmental meetings with senior and mid-level managers of client organizations
- Build relationships with owners and/or sources of data to help expand data access
- Assist with department operations and training efforts
The group is looking for smart, energetic, well-rounded self-starters who are team-players and possess a strong desire to learn. Successful candidates will have an interest in management consulting and a genuine interest in insurance and financial services.
Positions are based in the Boston, MA office. Some travel, including international, may be required. Candidates should, at minimum, possess the following:
- Bachelor's degree with a demonstrated record of academic success
- 1-3 years of professional or academic experience. Top-tier strategy consulting experience highly preferred
- Coursework and/or experience in financial analysis, marketing, strategic planning, operations, and statistics is preferred. Work experience in insurance or financial services, including gained through an internship, is preferred, but not required
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence others, using analysis and experience as support
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and client needs
- Ability to manage multiple projects or priorities
- Strong time management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
- All candidates must apply to the job posting on the Liberty Mutual Careers website. Please submit a cover letter with your resume and application
- To move forward in the process, you must complete the online application and a pre-hire assessment
- Please note completing the assessment may take between 30-45 minutes
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Job: Strategy & Planning
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Meet Some of Liberty Mutual's Employees
Director, Customer Experience
Omari heads employee recognition and experience efforts for Liberty Mutual’s U.S. consumer business, celebrating career achievements and driving engagement in the employee journey. He also advises leadership on new initiatives to bring the customer front and center for every employee.
Back to top