Principal Software Developer
At Liberty Mutual Investments (LMI), we manage a high-quality investment portfolio utilizing a disciplined strategy. We have a large and varied customer base, supported by strategic business units that function as a complete investment firm within our Fortune 100 Company. Our Investment professionals are critical to our ability to keep our promises to policyholders, claimants and their families.
LMI Technology is actively searching for a Principal Software Developer within Private Investments Technology who will be r esponsible for providing technical consulting on complex to highly complex projects, devising and modifying procedures to solve highly complex problems. The role works closely with the LMI GPI and FAS teams supporting a growing portfolio of private equity, real estate, and natural resource investments.
Leads projects or subprojects of highly technical complexity and responsible for directing and monitoring the work of team members. Responsible for system analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation. Responsible for quality assurance review. May provide mentorship to new developers and team.
Leads and consults on the following activities:
- Develops maintainable/scalable, effective, defect free source code that meets business requirements and team standards
- Conducts unit test case development
- Develops highly complex test scripts
- Conducts impact analysis
- Develops component design
- Develops system/application architecture
- Supports the production support transition and implementation phases; responsible for overall success of the project
- Works within project team to lead iterative development that delivers a high quality product
- Supports interactions with customers and development team to gather and define requirements
- Develops and leads the production of support documentation
- Leads functional/system integration testing support
- Leads quality assurance architecture and design guide review; defects or discrepancies in requirements identified and resolved with appropriate partners
- Plans work out appropriately, effectively communicates and responds to escalations/inquiries.
- Develops Build and Deployment guide
- Identify and implements appropriate continuous improvement opportunities
- Completes other project work or tasks as assigned
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience, technical degree preferred
- Generally 8+ years of professional experience
- Highly proficient in software engineering languages and tools; ability to develop on multiple platforms. Strong negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills. Strong oral and written communication skills; presentation skills
- Extensive knowledge of the following: IT concepts, strategies, methodologies
- Versed in diverse technologies and new technical architecture principles and concepts
- Extensive knowledge in layered systems architectures solutions and designs and shared software concepts. Business function(s) and I/T industry business issues; extensive knowledge of business operations, strategies and objectives
- Strong in multiple programming languages and tools
- Extensive understanding of agile software development concepts and processes
- Must be proactive, demonstrate initiative and be a logical thinker
- Extensive consultative skills, including the ability to understand and apply customer requirements, including drawing out unforeseen implications and making recommendations for design, the ability to define design reasoning, understanding potential impacts of design requirements
- Extensive understanding of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, and incremental delivery
- Strong collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required
- Experience with front and back office management (research, portfolio construction, valuation) of private investments (private equity, real estate, natural resources)
- Experience with structure and unstructured investment and financial data sets
- Deep knowledge of and experience with Investments / Financial data
- Deep experience with the Microsoft SQL Server technology stack (SSAS, SSIS)
- Knowledge of a variety of data platforms including NoSQL, unstructured data solutions, ideal
- Strong understanding of data warehousing, modern Cloud / Hybrid data architecture concepts
- Experience with business intelligence tools and reporting solutions (Power BI, Tableau, etc)
- Understanding of data modeling techniques; ability to lead and contribute to incremental and iterative modern data architecture
- Perform data research / profiling and applies results to solution design.
- Experience working in an Agile (scrum) development environment (Test-Driven Design, MVP, iterative and incremental design), familiarity with DevOps concepts
- Ability to adhere to guidelines and standards while innovating and contributing to evolution of those standards.
- Ability to balance support of legacy solutions with delivery of new business capabilities
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Back to top