Principal Java Software Developer
Principal Software Developer
We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
Liberty Mutual is seeking a Principal Software Developer to join a team of talented developers who are defining and developing critical components of the Global Retail Markets US Claims platform. These components are critical to the complexity assessment, distribution, and tracking of claims and claim related tasks.
The team performs this work using Agile software development methodology, combining customer-focused Design Thinking, XP software development practices, and Agile. The team works directly with the customer to develop solutions. The team is empowered to define, in collaboration with their customers/stakeholders, their products and the future direction of those products.
As a senior technical member of the Segmentation & Assignment team, you will have an important leading role on the team in architecting, designing, and implementing the software and system solutions used by our evolving claims process. You will work directly with Architects, Technologists, peers, your team, Product Owners, and Customers/Stakeholders.
The primary technology stacks you will be working with are the industry-leading Guidewire/ClaimCenter JEE application, as well as developing new RESTful microservices on the public cloud (e.g. AWS) using a well-defined suite of supporting technologies (e.g. Netflix OSS, Docker Data Center, Spring Cloud, etc.).
Role Specific Responsibilities
You will be a software developer on an Agile/Scrum team with 3 to 4 other developers, a Scrum Master, and a Product Owner. You will be expected to perform the usual tasks of a developer on such a team. However, as a Principal Software Developer, you will be a technical leader on the team and have additional expectations and responsibilities.
- Mentor and coach the team on good software development practices (including XP) and on the understanding and usage of the technologies involved in your product stack
- Ensure the team is using good software development practices through code reviews and other day-to-day interactions
- Mentor and coach the team on how to work cooperatively with customers, stakeholders, product owners, each other, and other development teams to arrive at optimal solutions; serve as a role model
- Serve as a primary source and point-of-contact to answer technical questions about the team's product space
- Contribute to a future facing design supporting decoupling of functionality and migration to cloud based services
Other General Responsibilities
- Develop Enterprise Applications for a Fortune 100 company in an agile/scrum environment
- Develop enhancements to our primary enterprise application, Guidewire ClaimCenter with Java and JEE.
- Develop new cloud based applications with Java and Spring Boot.
- Participate in test development, which could include TDD/BDD techniques (e.g. Cucumber)
- Develop complex test scripts with JUnit, JMeter, and Selenium.
- Conduct impact analysis.
- Develop component design
- Provide system/application architecture
- Interact with customers and development team to gather and define requirements
- Work within project team on iterative development that delivers a high-quality product.
- Execute all levels of testing (System, Integration, and Regression)
- Analyze user stories for validity and feasibility
- Provide functional/system integration testing support.
- Perform Quality Assurance coding and design review; defects or discrepancies in requirements identified and resolved with appropriate partners and stakeholders.
- Plan work out appropriately, proactively escalates issues that may impact scope, schedule, budget.
- Mentor new developers and junior developers
- Identify and recommend appropriate continuous improvement opportunities.
Competitive applicants will have the following
- Strong enterprise-level software development experience in an object-oriented language, preferably Java/J2EE.
- Solid programming discipline: unit testing, fault tolerance, data structures, complexity analysis, object oriented principles, design patterns, etc.
- Modern IDE experience (e.g. Eclipse/RAD, IntelliJ, NetBeans, Visual Studio, etc.)
- Modern Source Code Control Repositories experience like BitBucket/Git, Artifactory
- Moderate KSH or other UNIX/Linux shell scripting experience
- Enterprise Relational DB experience (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, etc.)
- Familiarity with CI/CD and DevOps build tools such as Ant, Maven, Gradle, Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
- Experience working in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) is preferred.
- An evident appreciation of current and emerging technology trends.
- Experience working in a DevOps environment
Highly competitive applicants will have the following
- ClaimCenter or general Guidewire experience
- Experience with Cloud Application Development Technologies such as Docker, Spring Cloud/Boot, AWS
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience, technical degree preferred.
- Generally, 8+ years of professional experience.
- Highly proficient in software engineering languages and tools; ability to develop on multiple platforms.
- Strong negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; presentation skills.
- Extensive knowledge of the following: IT concepts, strategies, methodologies.
- Versed in diverse technologies and new technical architecture principles and concepts. Extensive knowledge in layered systems architectures solutions and designs and shared software concepts.
- Business function(s) and I/T industry business issues; extensive knowledge of business operations, strategies and objectives. Strong in multiple programming languages and tools.
- Extensive understanding of agile software development concepts and processes.
- Must be proactive, demonstrate initiative and be a logical thinker.
- Extensive consultative skills, including the ability to understand and apply customer requirements, including drawing out unforeseen implications and making recommendations for design, the ability to define design reasoning, understanding potential impacts of design requirements.
- Extensive understanding of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, and incremental delivery.
- Strong collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required.
We take care of our employees...
We strongly believe that a great job should keep you happy both at work-and in life. That's why we offer:
- Workplace Flexibility
- Wellness Perks
- Collaborative workspaces
- Sit/stand desks
- Career development, programs and classes
- Diversity & Inclusion programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Adoption Assistance
- College Savings Plan
- Education reimbursement
- Hackathon Events
Liberty Mutual was named as a '2016 Great Place to Work' by Great Place to Work US.
For more info about our benefits - Benefits Information
Learn more about Tech at Liberty Mutual - Search Our Jobs
Check out our Tech at Liberty Mutual YouTube playlist - Show me the Videos
Primary Location: United States-New Hampshire-Exeter
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Back to top