Manager, Underwriting Innovation
Advance Your Career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company!
Please note this is a range posting and grade level will be determined based on experience for either grade 19 Director II Underwriting Innovation or grade 20 Senior Director I Product Management
The insurance industry is being transformed: self-driving cars, the Internet of Things, the Sharing Economy, cyber security and an ever-changing set of start-up competitors are all major contributors to the disruption of current business models. In response, Global Risk Solutions, the mid to large commercial, specialty and reinsurance arm of Liberty Mutual, is establishing a global innovation team. This exciting new group is focused on testing new ideas, turning those ideas into products or services, and launching new ventures that seamlessly deliver innovative risk solutions, meeting the unique needs of our customers.
The team is also exploring blockchain and machine learning, evaluating their current state and building new solutions enabled by emerging tech. Through partnerships with InsurTechs, investments in startups and in-house builds, we'll aim to create the future, today. We are looking for innovators who are passionate about making an impact, are entrepreneurial, and are willing to test and learn. Does building a new future for a Fortune 100 company like Liberty Mutual excite you? If so, join our team!
As Manager, UW Innovation, you will be responsible for leading overall focus on several key strategic areas for the Global Risk Solutions. This role will lead all aspects of our innovation portfolio focused on pioneering efforts in underwriting including Future of Mobility, the Future of UW and Alternative Capital. Leveraging innovation methods, this person will explore these areas to generate ideas and design, prototype and launch new risk solutions in the market for our brokers and clients. Emerging technology such as artificial intelligence and blockchain will also be a key focus. Key responsibilities include developing and aligning strategy, connecting and collaborating with global teams and external partners to co-create.
The role will lead a series of key strategic initiatives:
- Provides strategic and tactical direction on initiatives, develop and managing our overall plan for key areas of focus
- Expand and connect our innovation efforts across these focus areas, leveraging a common management pipeline, with the goal of increasing connectivity, information sharing and collaboration across our Business Units
- Key liaison for connecting and collaborating with other Liberty Innovation teams in Global Retail Markets (personal, small commercial), LM IT, LM Investments, Corp Legal, etc.
- Lead the development and presentation of our executive status updates and reporting
- Represents our efforts at internal and external speaking engagements
- Bachelor's degree, plus a minimum of 10+ years of proven progressive experience in innovation-driven organizations and a minimum of three years of proven team management and leadership experience
- MBA or advanced degree preferred. Proven ability to integrate strategies and programs across multiple areas
- Strong ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization. Must possess strong analytical, strategic, project management, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Job: Strategy & Planning
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Meet Some of Liberty Mutual's Employees
Director, Customer Experience
Omari heads employee recognition and experience efforts for Liberty Mutual’s U.S. consumer business, celebrating career achievements and driving engagement in the employee journey. He also advises leadership on new initiatives to bring the customer front and center for every employee.
Back to top