Director, Product & Underwriting - National Insurance
Advance Your Career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company!
Under minimal direction the Product and Underwriting Director identifies complex trends and issues country wide. Collaborates with multiple functional areas including developing product line strategies promoting greater consistency, competitive parity, profitability and regulatory compliance. Key functional areas include: Field UW's, Actuarial, Analytics, Industry Practices, Risk Management, Claims and Regulatory Compliance. Implements complex adaptations of country wide initiatives and conducts other analyses supporting the strategic direction across all NI underwriting segments. Leads cross functional teams thru the development and/or implementation of a new product innovation and / or other initiatives focused on building profitable growth. Leads in the creation of and serves as subject matter expert developing of new products or CW initiatives, makes actionable, recommendations and executes on those recommendations. Provides franchise underwriting guideline recommendations. May be involved in product line/distribution channel production and profit planning. Presents UW segment views, other analyses and results of country wide initiatives to Directors of State Operations, Product SVPs, and Chief Product Officer.
- Serves as the Product SME for overall product related guidance and completes topical reviews and similar work for complex countrywide programs independently.
- Leads extremely complex analysis .
- Serves as the Product SME for overall product related guidance and completes topical reviews and similar work for complex countrywide programs.
- Directs product analysts in the building of new tools (spreadsheets, modeling tools, databases, reporting and other templates).
- Manages moderate to high complexity multi-function projects, often including managing / influencing the work of others. Occasionally sponsors projects.
- Using information gathered from analysis and research, provides franchise tactical and strategic recommendations on a countrywide basis for assigned lines of business.
- Recommendations are made on process improvements, new products, profit, and growth improvement actions for assigned lines of business.
- Regularly presents research, recommendations and initiatives.
- Occasionally presents research, recommendations and initiatives to Chief Product Officer and other Sr. Leadership.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on competitor activity.
- Directs Product Analysts on competitive research activities.
- Directs Product Analysts in the review of industry publications and news articles.
- Provides summaries of industry and competitive information to Product leadership, Chief Product Officer and other Sr. leadership.
- Utilizes research to determine tactical and occasionally strategic direction for assigned lines of business or distribution channels.
- Occasionally seeks out opportunities to guide or teach the broader team.
- Actively mentors analysts thru complex analysis, drawing of conclusions and development of recommendations.
- Jurisdictional issues: NC Recoupment, MCCA, etc...
- Industry expertise - unique commercial auto coverage's (ie: Public Entity, Healthcare, Construction, etc...)
- Highly Collaborative
- Problem solver
- Service Oriented
- Execution minded
Managerial and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Manages analyst (ranging from new hire to senior analysts or grade 16 managers). Responsible for building team through the recruiting, selection, training, development, and retention of Product Analysis staff.
- Bachelor's degree in business, economics, or other quantitative field. 6 years, typically 8 years or more relevant work experience, typically 8 years. Master's degree beneficial. Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and data analysis software (e.g., SAS, Access). Must have good planning, organization, analytical, decision-making and communication skills. Experience directly managing others preferred. Excellent analytic, quantitative and problem solving skills with proven ability to make and execute data driven decisions. Advanced knowledge of product offerings, business processes, product line systems, underwriting rules, pricing plans and databases.
- Strong understanding of insurance concepts (coverage's, filings, commercial auto rating, pricing model, ISO, etc.).
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and data analysis software (e.g., SAS, Access, Tableau).
- Must have good planning, organizational, analytical, decision-making and communication skills.
- Experience managing projects preferred.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it's our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Job: Strategy & Planning
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Meet Some of Liberty Mutual's Employees
Director, Customer Experience
Omari heads employee recognition and experience efforts for Liberty Mutual’s U.S. consumer business, celebrating career achievements and driving engagement in the employee journey. He also advises leadership on new initiatives to bring the customer front and center for every employee.
Back to top