Director, Investment Risk
- Boston, MA
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance \u2013 a Fortune 100 Company!
Liberty Mutual Investments (LMI) manages Liberty Mutual Insurance Group\u2019s (LMIG) global financial assets across global and private domains to build capital and generate income. With over $80 billion in AUM and staffed with 250-plus investment, finance and operations professionals located in Boston, Mass., we offer the best of both worlds -\u2014 the look and feel of a boutique investment firm and the reputation and financial strength of a global leader.
LMI has been on a transformation path to spur innovation, capitalize on deep expertise, and scale its returns on long-term flexible capital through a \u201Cone firm, one portfolio, one team\u201D mindset. Our operating model is built on three pillars: centralized portfolio construction, asset management and investment-enabling services. The teams are structured as Investment business units (IBUs), working in concert: Strategy & Asset Allocation, Risk Management, Global Fixed Income, Global Partnerships & Innovation and Investment Enabling Services (IES). Our portfolio spans a broad spectrum of public and private asset classes, and we are committed to expanding our capabilities and our toolkit in furtherance of our mission.
LMIG is proud to be recognized for a second time in 2019 as a Best Workplace for Diversity by Fortune magazine and as a Great Place to Work.
As a senior member of the Risk Management team, the Director, Investment Risk, will oversee risk from the perspective of the General Account, merging both public and private risk management frameworks. This highly visible role will be part of a team managing risk across public and private asset classes in close partnership with portfolio managers and the internal investment committee.
- Lead the internal risk monitoring and management coverage area from the perspective of the overall General Account, merging both public and private risk management frameworks.
- Extend and help to further develop our risk budgeting approach, as well as supplementary risk limits and guidelines.
- Monitor risk within various house accounts to support attaining appropriate General Account risk exposures.
- Evolve internal stress testing and active risk management; in particular, assess appropriate attribution methodologies across the general account.
- Continue to build out a reporting framework that supports data-driven decision making at all levels of the organization.
- Work with Liberty Mutual\u2019s corporate Enterprise Risk Management group to understand LMI\u2019s overall contribution to company-wide risk exposure.
- Serve as an independent, objective, and analytical voice on various investment committees.
- Assess the merits and risks associated with potential new classes of investments and contribute to the communication of those investment strategies to key stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Collaborate with multiple teams across business and functional units. Foster a culture of risk awareness in partnership with other investment stakeholders.
- Mentor and lead junior risk analysts.
- A bachelor\u2019s degree in a quantitative field and 8 to 10\u002B years of relevant work experience is required. An advanced degree and/or CFA would be a plus.
- Experience in quantitative modeling, stress testing, scenario analysis, historical simulation, performance attribution, and other approaches to understanding portfolio risk, preferably in a multi-asset class context.
- Knowledge of various types of investments and their characteristics, including fixed income, equities, real estate, real assets, private equity, and other private investments. Private capital knowledge is essential.
- Ability to transform concepts into actionable priorities.
- Ability to work independently as well as thrive in a team-oriented, relationship-driven environment.
- A proven leader and mentor to a staff; someone who can engage individuals broadly.
- Comfortable taking initiative and being resourceful.
- Understanding of insurance asset management, or other institutional risk management experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to risk management as a profession, and flexibility to assume leadership across different coverage areas of the risk team.
- Ability to think independently and appropriately convey a viewpoint that might be counter to the consensus.
- Superior listening skills and the ability to communicate complex issues in an understandable manner.
- Acts in a professional manner and demonstrates a high degree of integrity, honesty, and ethical behavior.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and mentoring skills.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it\u2019s our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace an environment that is free from all discrimination in the workplace, in our business, or by our vendors. Liberty Mutual values diversity and the differences and similarities of our employees. We foster a diverse and inclusive work environment that leads to better ideas, stronger teams and more creative products and services for our customers.
Back to top