Mechanical Design Engineer 2
(If you have any issues or trouble completing the online application, please contact [email protected] or call 503-748-5899)
Are you ready to put your skills to work in a dynamic and growing company? Are you passionate about technology and want to see video, imagery, and data come to life on big electronic canvases? Are you ready to make a difference and join the Planar team as we help shape the way people think about and use digital signage now and into the future? "
Planar is looking for a Mechanical Engineer to function as a resource for the design, evaluation, test and documentation of video display and electronic product development. Additionally, this role may investigate and remedy mechanical design issues of current product lines.
With solid design skills, attention to detail and a curious and creative mind, the successful candidate will be self-directed and exhibit excellent interpersonal skills.
What You'll Do:
- Participate on a multidisciplinary engineering team that develops video display products based on LCD, LED, OLED and other display technologies.
- Design cost effective mechanical, electromechanical and optomechanical systems through understanding customer requirements and common manufacturing techniques.
- Research and test concepts to be implemented within products.
- Generate, with minimal guidance, design documentation, including BOM's, ECO's, specifications, process instructions.
- Work within company Project Management Guideline and NPI (New Product Ideation) process to support the introduction of new products into a manufacturing environment.
- Plan, conduct and support prototype through production of new or modified designs.
- Investigate mechanical failures of returning, in-warranty product from the field, develop experimental approaches to determine root cause, and provide permanent remedies to preclude recurrence.
- Interact with the engineering teams of vendors and customers to uncover and understand relevant variables and factors
- Create Sales and marketing assets; e.g. photo-realistic renderings, diagrams, video, still images, etc.
- Design and build prototypes and tech investigation demos.
- Design/build product demos for internal and external customers
- Conduct, as necessary, problem solving analysis sessions of field failures.
- Conduct presentations to peers and management on projects, customer interactions, etc.
- Support manufacturing engineering, as necessary, to eliminate problems.
- Perform research and development of innovative projects and/or processes.
Who You'll Work With:
- R&D team
- Compliance engineers
What You'll Need:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent required.
- Minimum 2 years' experience in design or manufacturing required. Preference for prior experience with display-related products.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks 3D CAD system with an understanding of dimensioning and tolerances.
- Knowledge designing and fabricating with sheet metal, machining and molding techniques preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills required.
- Demonstrated positive participation and contribution to medium sized projects required.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills allowing the ability to work efficiently and productively with wide range of education levels.
- Limited travel, both domestic and international, may be necessary to visit customers and vendors.
Want to know what it's like to work at Planar? Check out our company profile on The Muse.
Meet Some of Leyard and Planar's Employees
Marketing Communications Specialist
Ashley focuses on the marketing of product launches, which involves coordinating with Leyard and Planar's Sales Team to make sure they're informed and prepared in their roles.
Back to top