LED Field Support Technician - Pacific NW region
Are you ready to put your skills to work in a dynamic and growing company? Are you passionate about technology and want to see video, imagery, and data come to life on big electronic canvases? Are you ready to make a difference and assist the Planar team as we help shape the way people think about and use digital display technology now and into the future?
We are seeking a Field Support Technician who is responsible for performing field service on all Planar-Leyard LED products. The primary focus is pixel-level repair of LEDs during customer installations and post-installation service calls at customer locations in the US and Canada. The technician will also assist generally with any assigned installs although primary responsibility will be for LED repair.
What You'll Do:
- Participate on the Planar-Leyard installation team at the customer site by installing LED components and by repairing non-functioning LEDs during initial product installation
- Provide post-installation LED repair services for LED customers as needed
- Maintain a high level of attention to detail
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service skills with customers in urgent or tenuous situations
- Ensure quality by following manufacturing process instructions in order to repair LEDs correctly and minimize product waste
- Effectively communicate equipment and process information to others, using both oral and written means
- Demonstrate flexibility by adjusting practices, if necessary, to accommodate work priorities as instructed
- Suggest improvements to process or product to ensure consistent results, reduced costs, and increased efficiency
- Repair equipment in the field to meet manufacturing standards
- Determine if product should be repaired in the field or returned for rework at Planar or Leyard, and facilitate return process if needed
- Responsible for quality and quantity of finished work
- Ability to read, write, and understand English
- Ability to maintain acceptable standards of office conduct
- Ability to come to work demonstrating timely and regular attendance
- Ability to handle stress
Who You'll Work With:
- External Customers
- Engineering Team
- Technical Support Team
What You'll Need:
- Excellent interpersonal, telephone, customer service, time management, and decision-making skills essential
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate appropriate information to customers and team members in a professional manner
- Ability to effectively maintain professional appearance and demeanor in a variety of work environments
- Ability to work unsupervised while remaining efficient and productive, completing work in an exceptional manner
- Comfortable using standard hand tools
- Ability to successfully remove and install SMD LEDs with fine pitch as small as 1.25mm, without burning / damaging the adjacent LED or board
- Ability to operate a temperature controlled soldering iron
- Ability to operate a hot air De/Solder rework station with adjustable air flow, and with temperature ranging from 100 to 500 degrees
- Skilled in using software applications, including Microsoft Office
- Ability to pass security and background checks for secured installation sites
- Ability to travel frequently (Up to 80%), often on short notice, and outside the US if necessary
- Must be flexible to accommodate customer schedules, often working non-standard hours and weekends as necessary
- Maintain a valid driver's license
- Mental ability to conduct on-going interpersonal interactions, analyze and solve problems essential
- Ability to actively participate in team development and team-oriented processes
- Physical ability to use computer hardware/software required
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Mandarin language skills a plus
- Ability to lift 70 pounds occasionally at customer sites. Lift 15 pounds repeatedly.
- Ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or repair (solder) very small objects.
- Ability to see details at close range (within 12-18") using a magnifying tool to view work in detail.
- Ability to keep your hands and arms steady while completing repair
- Comfortable working on a ladder or scaffolding for extended periods of time
Education & Experience:
- Two years of experience in a technical role, either manufacturing or repairing small electronics.
- Experience with Video Wall technologies preferred.
- Experience installing and troubleshooting AV equipment preferred
- Valid driver's license and vehicle availability
- M-F with occasional weekend activity, hours are dependent upon the project and site access and often extend beyond the normal workday
- Repair of very small objects
- Position requires heavy lifting
- Ability to travel extensively and work substantial overtime
- Scheduling flexibility based on business needs
- Working with others in a team setting
- Field Support Techs must often access sensitive government / military / commercial sites; potential candidates must be US citizens, or actively involved in obtaining US citizenship
- In addition, any potential candidates must be able to freely enter / exit the US in order to travel internationally
Meet Some of Leyard and Planar's Employees
IT Business Analyst
Francisco works in Leyard and Planar's IT Department. He maintains the CRM application that the company relies on while working with other teams to add new business process functions.
Back to top