Assembling a top notch team is the #1 challenge forward-looking companies know they must solve. At Lever, we’re building next-generation collaboration software that helps companies to bring more transparency, participation, and engagement to their hiring. As a Software Engineer, you’ll help us build out our core product by developing high-impact, user-facing features.
In our growing engineering organization, you’ll be a driver for positive change to Lever’s engineering culture, processes and technology. You will be a strong voice in product planning, drive the implementation and release of major features, and be a champion of best practices for writing well-tested, well-organized code.
You’ll become familiar with all parts of our stack—including our open source web framework, DerbyJS. You will exercise judgment in making tradeoffs between design and feasibility. You’ll engineer your features to be scalable and resilient in a complex, single-page application.
We believe that user-centric design ultimately leads to the best products, so we listen closely to our users, both external and internal. As an engineer on our close-knit, cross-functional team, you’ll be an active voice in shaping our product. Lever is constantly rolling out high-demand features and tackling ever greater challenges of scale.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is knowledgeable about development patterns and cares about the product development process. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about lots of things – browser performance, code reviews, debugging, continuous integration, creating a great hiring experience, and pandas – and we love sharing those passions with each other.
- Lever is built on our own modern web framework based on NodeJS called DerbyJS.
- ShareDB–an open-source implementation of operational transform–enables us to sync data real-time. Learn more about the power of OT from our CTO Nate's conference talk about Operational Transform!
- For our data layer and search, we use MongoDB, Redis, and Elasticsearch.
- For deployment, we use the combined forces of npm, AWS, Jenkins, and Docker.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Build, launch, and support your first big feature
- Master DerbyJS development patterns
- Participate in support engineering and on-call rotations to help diagnose and resolve production problems and customer issues.
- Write internal documentation for your features and systems
Within 6 months, you’ll...
- Have made a visible impact on the product for all the users of Lever
- Own major feature areas of the application
- Be comfortable navigating most of our stack and infrastructure
- Be responsible for the planning, scoping, design, and implementation of new features
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Build within reliable estimates
- Train and mentor your peers
The Lever Story:
Lever builds software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $33 million. This year, we're doubling the team in size, and we're looking forward to supporting more great companies like Netflix, Eventbrite, and Lyft.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS
. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend
, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.