Distributed Systems Engineer
Drive scalability and performance of a cutting-edge, real-time platform. Work directly with our CTO on a small team of experienced engineers.
Our team develops ShareDB, a distributed realtime application backend. ShareDB syncs all data via Operational Transformation, the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. We are also responsible for scaling pub/sub messaging, ElasticSearch, taskqueues, realtime email sync, data apis, reporting infrastructure, and frontend Node.js applications.
Guide us in making calls on performance tradeoffs, when to hack and when to invest, how to choose the right level of abstraction, how to design systems that both work well and fail well. And know that all the work that you do the team at Lever will enrich the open source community.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Add tests and close open issues in ShareDB
- Create examples for gettings started with ShareDB
- Improve ShareDB to make it more performant for large data sets
- Design and implement tooling to make the product engineering team more productive
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Implement new features in ShareDB, such as cursors and presence
- Diagnose and resolve production issues and performance optimizations
- Build offline data sync
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Drive platform roadmap priorities
- Establish platform headroom for increased scale
- Communicate metrics on status of our platform
- Teach the outside world/open source community how to build scalable realtime web applications
The Lever Story:
Lever builds software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $33 million. This year, we're doubling the team in size, and we're looking forward to supporting more great companies like Netflix, Eventbrite, and Lyft.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Back to top