Director of Sales Development
Hello, Toronto! We are beyond excited to have recently opened our first office outside of San Francisco and are looking for the right people to join us as our first hires in our new city.
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage: we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” by bringing our people-first culture to Toronto.
Lever is looking for a strategic leader to continue building our global Sales Development organization. Having previously led an SDR team, you’ll bring to the table best practices from a healthy, successful, scaled SDR operation; the most modern metrics we should be using to measure our efforts; the best ways to build pipeline; and creative ideas to keep the team motivated and energized. Your strategic vision and recommendations for optimization will enable your organization to continually increase overall revenue contribution.
As a Director of Sales Development, you’ll get to use your lead generation know-how and passion for people to make a direct impact on Lever and it’s revenue growth. You’ll expand your leadership skills in hiring and developing other leaders, develop industry expertise, and influence the development of new sales best practices. You will be leading the team that brings a HUGE amount of positive energy, motivation and team spirit to Lever, and your team should be the ultimate example of high productivity, collaboration, teamwork, and fun. Most importantly, you’ll get to help some of the most innovative companies in the world hire the talent they need to grow and scale.
Lever’s Sales Development team is a tight-knit team spread across two offices with diverse backgrounds--we’re seasoned salespeople, whip-smart new grads, and even a few former recruiters. We are charged with kicking off conversations with qualified leads and working with companies of all kinds, from tech startups to world-famous traveling circuses and global non-profits to help them make hiring more strategic, collaborative, and human. Learn more about Sales at Lever from some members of the team.
- Creative problem solver with proven track record of success
- Smart, a natural coach, and obsessed with metrics/efficiency
- Experience maintaining a consistently strong pipeline of: 1) leads, which the rest of the team counts on, and 2) the people – talent is our most important asset
- Previously built high functioning multi-location SDR teams, managed managers, and build/maintained/optimized a sales development playbook
- Strong understanding of best practice sales concepts (ICP, TAM, ABM)
- Ability to use your strategic vision and critical thinking to create capacity and productivity plans, and proven expertise in relentlessly managing to key
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL
- Get to know your team of managers and sales development reps. Understand their strengths, aspirations and friction points that are standing in their way
- Learn the Lever sales process, from outbounding, to discovery and demos, to getting deals over the finish line; learn what it takes to find and close deals at Lever
- Shadow 12 qualification calls with different SDRsShadow 5 qualification calls with Mid-Market and/or Enterprise AE’s to understand how your team can continue to better support in deal qualification
- Start building a pipeline of Sales Development candidates with our Sales Recruiter(s): learn how to recruit the Lever way, and complete hiring manager training
- Identify areas of improvement to efficiently find outbound opportunities in the Mid-Market and Enterprise segments by using Salesforce data, including historical closed-lost data
- Submit a clear recommendation and business case for changes or improvements to the tools and technology the SDR team uses
- Conduct your first 1:1s with each SDR across all segments to understand the talent on the team and propose ways to level up their skills
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- This is the phase of owning your metrics – it’s your job to get the SDRs to deliver on their numbers: KPIs on call volume, lead follow-up times, lead conversion rates, pipeline sourced, and so on, with a view to ramping team to 100% quota achievement
- Develop strong relationships with the SDRs managers on your team; be a coach and trusted advisor
- Propose and document a best-in-industry onboarding and training strategy for new SDRs. Begin working with the People team and Sales Enablement to put the foundation in place to make the strategy a reality
- Identify areas of opportunity for increased efficiency and greater results in inbound, outbound, and enterprise opportunities
- Create the framework for Lever’s SDR Playbook, which clearly describes the role, expectations and milestones in a Lever SDR’s career from day 1 including onboarding, ramping, productivity, development, and preparation for their next role, through the day they are promoted from the SDR team
- Lead weekly team meetings that communicate wins, areas of opportunity, and process improvements; leverage your Managers in helping you create the team agenda
- Create and lead sales plays, campaigns and power-hours across the team. Bring the energy, inspiration and FUN that will drive your team’s high engagement
- Host your first team offsite and own all planning aspects; collect feedback geared towards iteration for your next offsite: what went well, what could be better, what is the team truly craving?
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Have a deep understanding of our value drivers and differentiators, and use them to help the SDRs generate interest and awareness
- Conduct your first round of performance reviews with your team
- Using your team’s KPIs as guides, create a mutually-agreed-upon plan for the forward six months with each of your direct reports, and assist them in doing the same for their teams
- Continue to partner with Marketing to execute on initiatives to drive meetings and SQLs to support the sales team’s pipeline goals
- Scale your team as needed to enable all of Sales to achieve our revenue goals.
- Complete the Lever SDR Playbook -- present it to the executive team and formally roll it out internally
- Design the career progression plan from SDR to a closing role including the requisite training initiatives, and a communication and transition plan that supports a smooth transition to their new manager and role
- Overachieve your meetings & SQL goals for your first full quarter in role, and build up a significant base of referred revenue pipeline to set you up to overachieve your referred ARR goals in the next 6 months
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Have built and scaled the next generation Sales Development organization, and use this as a basis to plan expansion in EMEA.
- Continually update and optimize the Lever SDR Playbook.
- Have promoted over 12 people from the SDR organization into more senior roles within Lever -- you’ve now been leading the organization that is the #1 internal source of talent in the company!
- Overachieve your meetings, SQL and referred revenue goals for the most recent two quarters.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Back to top